Chewy’s price on Instant Ocean salts skyrocketed

Reefcrystals and Regular IO salt price go up and down through out the year, it is like that for the past decade. The wholesale price is pretty stable though. It is a lot to do with individual online retailers and shipping cost is a factor. Also the competition among Amazon, Petco, Chewy. Beware that some lower priced salt are actually close to expiration. There may not be an expiration data on the buckets/boxes, but retailers track that.

Indeed there are many people switch from TM to Instant Ocean.

Guys,
I saw a big pallet of 200G IO boxes at Jays Aquatic. I didn’t ask for the price but get your lazy a** out there and support the lfs.
Also our sponsor BluelightAquatic carries 200G IO box at a very reasonable price. These boxes contains 4 bags of 50G mix. I’ve been doing this for years.
Plus one on it

Reefcrystals and Regular IO salt price go up and down through out the year, it is like that for the past decade. The wholesale price is pretty stable though. It is a lot to do with individual online retailers and shipping cost is a factor. Also the competition among Amazon, Petco, Chewy. Beware that some lower priced salt are actually close to expiration. There may not be an expiration data on the buckets/boxes, but retailers track that.
I have to admit that I had no idea that salt expires. Does something actually go wrong with it?

Petco has 15 pound bag of IO for $13.05 right now. I think I'll grab one even though I still have plenty left...

We have a pallet of Brightwell Neomarine incoming for all the locals.
Available 150-gallon buckets & 300-gallon boxes.
Easy pickup for all Boston surrounding areas.
I switched a year ago to Neomarine from purple IO and couldn't be happier.

As soon as all the chemicals are blended together, slow reactions will start to happen. The primary reactions are formations of calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate and other traced metal carbonates. These reactions are very slow when the salt mix is kept dry but they are irreversible.
The end results are the lost of calcium, magnesium, trace metals, and alkalinity.
By the way, there is no such thing as “natural sea salt”, as when sea water is dried, it can not be reconstituted as those carbonates are insoluble after they are formed.
So, salt mix does expire.

As soon as all the chemicals are blended together, slow reactions will start to happen. The primary reactions are formations of calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate and other traced metal carbonates. These reactions are very slow when the salt mix is kept dry but they are irreversible.
The end results are the lost of calcium, magnesium, trace metals, and alkalinity.
By the way, there is no such thing as “natural sea salt”, as when sea water is dried, it can not be reconstituted as those carbonates are insoluble after they are formed.
So, salt mix does expire.
I've never noticed an "expiration date" on any of my boxes or buckets. How long does it take? I'm sure I have a box that's a couple years old.

There is batch number on Instant Ocean salt which is a little white sticker on the bucket or bag. It basically is a manufacturer date. Other brands of salt have batch number on them and each manufacturer has different formats to show the manufacturer date.
the shelf life of salt depends on how air tight the container is.
If a bag of salt is opened or the bag is no longer air tight, it is better to use it immediately. The moisture in the air is what cause the degradation of salt.
Normally salt is good for about 1 year after the manufacturer date but each manufacturer has different standards.

It loses its flavor.
You are actually correct about this.
Due to the lost of trace elements/micro nutrients from the formations of insoluble carbonates, the salt water after mixing will have less bitter taste to it. I am very serious about the taste, this is not intended to be a joke.

Last edited:
I stack about a year of IO supply(12 boxes) and not any more. And repurchase when I’m down to 2 boxes. Usually, I go through about 14boxes a year. Haven’t had any issue with IO other than filthy mixing buckets that I spray clean every spring and fall.
I think salt should have an expiration date on it. But I do think we throw away more useable salt water than actually depleting enough major and minor elements of the salt mix.
Also, if you use a carx with natural media like Reborn, does it really matter if the salt loses some of its flavors?

If you use calcium reactor with Reborn, I won’t worry about the taste. But for dosing two parts, yes it can be a concern. When salt goes bad, the lost of trace elements is very significant due to the massive excess of carbonate in the dry salt mix.
But if the salt is in a sealed bucket, it will last for years. In a plastic bag that is punctured, it will go bad in months. It all depends on how much moisture the salt mix exposed to.

Well I guess I have some salt that I can still use to melt ice after the storm tomorrow...

That was what I did to two boxes of old salt that found inside my garage.

If the expiration date is meant for the manufacturer and isn't easy to read, how do you know how long it's been at the store? I buy a lot when it's on sale. Guess I'll have to cut back.

That is very true, I will buy salt that is in 5 gallon bucket instead of box. Only buy when needed.

For Reefcrystals, it is easy to read, the batch number is just the manufacturing date.

I find that in general if the salt mix is exposed to carbon dioxide enough, the alkalinity of the newly mixed saltwater will be much lower than what it would be normally. This is a clear sign of carbon dioxide soaked salt and I would throw them away. Therefore, I often check my alkalinity from time to time on the new salt mix prior to use just to see what I’m dealing with.

Back