Clear/white snotty slime all over my tank

R Baxley

Red Sox Nation Member
Clear/white snotty slime all over my tank...PLEASE HELP!

I posted this on Reef Central as well. I apologize if you have already seen it!

I left this friday for the weekend (as I have 1000x before) and when I came back on sunday night my tank was covered in this stuff that literally looks like snot. It's not brown or green, but a whitish/clear color. At first I thought that one of my softies was shedding, but there is wayyy too much of the stuff, and it is more slimey than when they shed. I have been removing it with a turkey baster, adn did a large water change last night. woke up this morning and it is worse than before. it seems to be growing RAPIDLY. I have searched the forums but can't find a solution. Has anyone beat this stuff before?

Alk, Ca, Salinity, pH are all normal. I don't have any other test kits.

I have a 29g tank with a 10g sump (rocks in the sump, no macro). sps frags, two small leathers, some xenia, crocea and a clean up crew. auto top-off dosing Kalk.

Please someone help me!

Rent

Last edited:
Hmmm, I'm thinking dinoflagellates, but it mayt be some kind of spawning event.
Anyone else have a guess?

What kind of powerheads are you using? I had a similar white slimy mess in my saltwater bucket after my Rio pump exploded.

Hi Rent,
I have seen this ucky, webby, snotty-looking stuff before. But, it was when I was losing a clam. Is the origin of this stuff near the base of a clam? If so, be ready to remove it. When they go, they go fast.

I hope not .. .
Paula

I have gotten something like what you descrbe in my piranha tank. It is only on the bottom of the tank. It comes from feeding chunks of shrimp and fish pieces that he breaks up and makes a mess of the tank with. They decay a bit and turn into this growing snot goop on the bottom. Frequent water changes where I clean out the rocks is the solution to that. No idea if it is a similar problem in your tank.

:eek:
Does it look like this?
I hope not!

That would be a mix of coral flesh and Calcium parcipitate :mad:

Attachments

• tankcrash5.JPG
    tankcrash5.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 346
I have a maxijet 1200 in tehre, but it seems to be functioning just fine.

It doesn't appear to be coming from the clam. The clam seems as happy as ever. As a matter of fact, all the critters seem to be as happy as ever except for a toadstool leather. But the toadstool may just be ready to shed.

Marc, it's not that white. definitely more clear than that, and it is more on the LR than anything.

Hmm. I'll do another water change and hope for the best. Thanks for all the input. I will let you know if I figure it out...

the more i look at it the more i think that it is some crazy kind of algae. I feel like it got worse last night, and better today. Is there a possibility that leaving teh lights on in my tank overnight will improve the situation? is there any reason that 24hr photo period would stun algae growth???

Oh yeah, I am now living in Washington DC, is it ok if I still use this board? technically i'm still a BRS member!

Thanks again,
Rent

once a memeber of BRS always a member of BRS. How do you like the city? I spent a year and half down in DC working for Homeruns.com. If I had been single I'd still be there.

The city is great. I travel so much I don't quite feel like this is home yet.

I wish I had a digi camera. I will have to invest in one soon...as soon as I recover from teh moving expenses!

Back