Clown Stuck in Corner Overflow

Frag Freaks

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I have a 120 with the dual corner overflows. I came home yesterday to find that somehow one of my clowns managed to find his way into the overflow.

I need some suggestions to getting him out. I can not remove my Durso and let him flow into the sump as it is cemented into the bulkhead. I also have 1 1/4 inch PVC for the Durso so space is really limited.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

ive always used a small net. its a pain but doable.

How small? I think mine is prob about a 4" net which is way to big. How small can you actually buy them. My clown isn't very big, only had him for about a month. He is prob rough 1/2" to 3/4" long.

I literally had to dig a fish out of my corner overflow 2 days ago. The only net i had was a small brine net. I took a 2 ft piece of 1/2" pvc and zip tied it to the handle of the net. Turned the flow off and emptied as much water as i could. You could siphon a bit out. There was no was i was getting my forearm into the overflow box while maintaining dexterity. Give it a whirl

I literally had to dig a fish out of my corner overflow 2 days ago. The only net i had was a small brine net. I took a 2 ft piece of 1/2" pvc and zip tied it to the handle of the net. Turned the flow off and emptied as much water as i could. You could siphon a bit out. There was no was i was getting my forearm into the overflow box while maintaining dexterity. Give it a whirl

I like this idea. Seems somewhat similar to my situation. I will have to give it a shot. I will need to get a brine net.

How long will he be able to live in the overflow. Unfortunately as of this afternoon I am gone for the next couple days.

Same thing happened to me a while back and I pulled the durso and sent her for a waterpark slip and slide to the basement!! I literally pulled the durso and walked down to the basement and then netted her out of my skimmer section in my sump - she was perfectly fine and no stress or hurt.....Maybe I was lucky I don't know but if it happens again I would do it the same way.....GL- In my opinion it is way safer to do it that way than keep jabbing and poking and prying and stressing out risking to hurt them by swiping the net in that tight space

If all fails, a extra small barb-less hook and quick reflexes works all the time! :p :)

Sounds cruel, but as long as you r quick and don't let them swallow the hook it's harmless to them. I have done that a few times now. Once with a firefish, a clown and a Desjardine Sailfin Tang.

Good luck...
Higor

I wish i could just pull my durso but thats not an option. Its cemented in place.

Could you plug the drain outlet and let the overflow fill up and just let the clown swim out?

shut your drain off if you can. get a 3/4in ID piece of hose maybe a little bigger run it into the sump and siphon the fish itself. just suck him out of your overflow.. I've gotten them by accident doing water changes before they just go for a flume ride to a bucket...

shut your drain off if you can. get a 3/4in ID piece of hose maybe a little bigger run it into the sump and siphon the fish itself. just suck him out of your overflow.. I've gotten them by accident doing water changes before they just go for a flume ride to a bucket...

Awesome lol

Looks like I have a few options to try here. Hopefully one of them will work.

I have used a siphon to drain the water almost completely out into a bucket and that makes netting much simpler/easier/less stressful

How long would a fish be able to live in an overflow like he is? Don't know how long it will take to get this little guy out of there.

interesting question. The only thing i think that could kill it in there would be stress. I would defiantly advise trying to get it out before you leave though.

I have a Mocha Clown in my 120 overflow for the last few weeks, not his first time. They get plenty of food in there, so it will be fine until you coax him out. I flood my overflow and shine a flashlight at the top, this usually draws him up and then I use my hand to go under him and force him out. I do like the idea of siphoning him out.

If all fails, a extra small barb-less hook and quick reflexes works all the time! :p :)

Sounds cruel, but as long as you r quick and don't let them swallow the hook it's harmless to them. I have done that a few times now. Once with a firefish, a clown and a Desjardine Sailfin Tang.

Good luck...
Higor

This by the way, is awesome. I have a #18 Trico fly you can have.

Back