Clowns fighting.......?

MPevine11

my own mini ocean
the lights are off i just got out of work, and they are fighting. doesnt seem to violent, but makes me nevrous........

i turned the lights on and they aew swimming with eacher

i read on a website that maybe they are becomming a pair?

any help here? in a while im going to shut my light off and see if they go at it again........

I have a male and female black and white every once in awhile she pushes and knocks him around when he wants to go near the her anemone when she is not in the mood. Then at night they are sleeping together. He does get shredded fins.I just keep an eye out in case I have to remove him she has gotten worse lately she is at least 2-3x his size now.

The mouth locking only lasts a couple days. Eventually one will give in. This is typical for a lot of fish. My cichlids do it everytime i add a new guy. Unfortunately my guys never kiss and make up and lay eggs like clownfish.

yes thats what they are doing, only when lights are out. when moonlight was on, they just swim around like always happy. how long will they do this for?

thank you for the fast replys :)
-mikepevine-

They will do that until something does them apart.
Just like human.

My pair of ture perc are doing that for three years now especially before the female lay eggs. (does that reminds you something else?)::

good i feel much better now thanks guys. i'll keep an eye on them so it doesnt end bad. but i'm glad to know this is normal.........and i hope i get eggs later on down the road.............(excuse to get another tank :) )

no more locking jaws since the light came on, they have been getting along very well, staying very close to eachother. but one is now twitching. i have read online it may be the male trying to impress the female??

any advice or info is great

thank you
-mike-

I don't think they will be able to turn into male /female when they just met.
I think they are competing to be the female.
I read somewhere that the twitching is the signal of defeat. "He" is giving up to be "She".
Anyway, good progress.
Some will fight to death...

no more locking jaws since the light came on, they have been getting along very well, staying very close to eachother. but one is now twitching. i have read online it may be the male trying to impress the female??

any advice or info is great

thank you
-mike-

Light some candles, turn down the room lights, and put on some romantic music. They are pairing, let nature take it's course, nothing else to do :)

I think they are competing to be the female.
I read somewhere that the twitching is the signal of defeat. "He" is giving up to be "She".
Anyway, good progress.

they were house at plymouth pet and aquarium (pet store i bought them) in the same tank, not sure if this would play a roll. probly 2 weeks max they were in there

if it gets violent, i will have to remove one

Light some candles, turn down the room lights, and put on some romantic music. They are pairing, let nature take it's course, nothing else to do :)

:D

what are the chances of eggs later on if they do pair? and how long does it take to 'pair?

chance of the babys surrival %?

i guess i might be looking to far ahead:confused:

:D

what are the chances of eggs later on if they do pair? and how long does it take to 'pair?

chance of the babys surrival %?

i guess i might be looking to far ahead:confused:

Pair doesn't mean they are mated. They will be just going steady.
When they lay the first batch of egg, then you can call them mated.
it is a long way to go.
My true perc pair took almost 1 year before the female started to lay eggs. Here is one catch: if you remodel their home, the clock will set back again.

they were house at plymouth pet and aquarium (pet store i bought them) in the same tank, not sure if this would play a roll. probly 2 weeks max they were in there[/COLOR]

Normally it won't help unless they get special treatment and have the whole tank for themselve.

Pair doesn't mean they are mated. They will be just going steady.
When they lay the first batch of egg, then you can call them mated.
it is a long way to go.
My true perc pair took almost 1 year before the female started to lay eggs. Here is one catch: if you remodel their home, the clock will set back again.

remodel.....like move rocks?

im getting a sump/fuge built, and plan to move some rocks into it maybe........but now i may not.......

How big are your clowns? they really don't mature all that fast to my understanding. if they're small I wouldn't worry about moving stuff.

remodel.....like move rocks?

im getting a sump/fuge built, and plan to move some rocks into it maybe........but now i may not.......

Moving rock will not break the pair but may affect the schedule to lay eggs. I will not worry about it till a year later.

Yup, same experience here. Mine were paired up for a couple of yrs before I ever saw eggs.

As I understand it, clowns normally either pair up pretty quickly or beat on each other endlessly (how badly depends on the sp of clown). Ie, if you have two females they will never be able to pair and won't get along. If you have males, undifferintated, or any combination not including two females they should inevitably pair up.

The behavior your describing is exactly what it to be expected as they are pairing up.

IME with both maroons and true percs, pairing took litteraly overnight. (but in both cases that was with one clown being much more mature than the other, thus making the dominance very easy to work out)

when the leds go on in my tank they wiggle around in my rbta. No eggs . I always thought the female was dominant mine is a bruiser the male tries to come over to hang with her then she beats him up.

Back