Club Meetings?

AngeloM

Reef Consigliere
Hey hey everyone. I've been coming to this forum for sometime now, not much of a poster :rolleyes:

I'm not a official member... only reason because (and i'm only guessing here) I would think most meetings are in the Boston area or more north. I live in Cumberland, RI (right on the Attleboro, MA border). I just dont think I'd be able to make the 45min-1hr drive to Boston area.

So I guess my question is.... what area is the bulk of the meetings held? I'd love to join! But I'd like to make sure I would actually be able to be an "active" member.

-Angelo

This months meeting is in Bridgewater MA, it's not to far of a hike for us Rhode Islanders. There are a fair amount that are not that bad a hike.:)

Im right down the road form you in Woonsocket ,
most meetings are within an hour either way .
we have had a few down in Bellingham,Framingham Tauton over the years we have branched out into most areas ..
but on top off the meetings we have summer get togethers 1 here in Woonsocket 1 up in New HAmpshire...Also fosh goo meets/get togethers

stick around checkit out , for the price of becoming a "full"member the freindships and feedback you get are well worth it

So fellow RI'ers.... in your experience... the drive to the meetings is worth it?

I am not from RI.. but I am from the NH border and frequentally drive over an hour... in my opinion they are very much worth it! I look forward all month to the meetings :) like Dawn said.. the friendships and help that you get are worth more than $.... that and if you like to trade corals... you will save a ton of money rather than buying "new"
We always love new members :)
you might even be able to find someone to carpool with to save on Gas money...

hope to see you at a meeting!

by the way.. the May meeting is an auction meeting (of which we now have 2 a year) so it will not be like a normal meeting with a speaker and a frag swap... but it is still a ton of fun and we always have really high attendence!

Great.... everyones convinced me to join :D

Although I'm starting up a 90g from scratch pretty much. Only kind of coral that is in my 50g right now is my Leather. My clown uses it as a bed to lay in at night... I can't take that away from her. So frag swaping will have to wait.

But I will pay my dues :D and hopfully make it to the May meeting.

Ok - I don't make it to many meetings lately (my loss), but my family is a continuing member and I'd suggest that everyone in the area who believes in the charter of the BRS step up and support it. Besides the direct benefits that one gets of attending meetings, as well as LSF discounts and such, the support goes directly to the one of the most (if not the most) effective source of reef education and advocacy in the Northeast - if you care about reefs around the world this is probably the best way, dollar for dollar, to support them. As one of the most threatened ecosystems around the world, let's all of us reef lovers do what we can to support them!

Welcome to the BRS!!!!

Oh, by the way - "frag swapping" doesn't always require the actual trading of frags. The $ is the most common exchange for frags, and it isn't actually too unusual that new reefers can pick up freebies of common corals for nothing more than the cost of being a member and attending a meeting. Don't be shy and ask about it when fraq swaps are being arranged for upcoming meetings.

The only meetings without frag swaps/sales are the auctions, but at future meetings you can hook up with a lot of $5, $10, and free frags to get your tank started.

At the auction there are also sometimes "starter packs" - groups of corals that are good for a young tank. And every variety of other corals are up for bids, some of which end up going for very low prices (at the end when everyone's run out of cash ;)).

Welcome to the club!
Nate

hey i didn't get any free frags lol j/k im also a rhode islander and this months meeeting was in framingham 1 and 1/2 hours from me but i went (my first meeting and became offcial member)and i deffinatly think the drive is well worth it i have drove up to 2 hours away allready just to check out other reefers tanks (maybe im just a reef freak) but the info i have learned is the most appreciated thing so far so at the same time thanks to all!!!! i will see you all at future meetings :)

... maybe im just a reef freak...

Hahaha.. this 90g is starting to make me a reef FREAK! :D
I have a 50g FOWLR now... sold my mh lights and corals for some fund'ge on the 90g. I'm transfering everyting over. The 50g was setup about a year ago... did my research, but rushed the actual setup of it. So I wanted to change and upgrade pretty much everything... figured might as well upgrade the tank too :rolleyes:

I'll make the 90g a mix of some softies, a lot of LPS and a SPS here and there (I'm not much of a SPS fan :eek: :D )

My build journal on RC, I'll just copy over here on BRS and update both of them.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, it's always nice to see more RI members.

There are several LFS that are sponsors in or close to RI and the member discount will come in handy setting up a new tank ;)

Yup... I see that Sea Creatures is one of the sponsors. Thats 10min away from me. Also sometimes I go to Uncle Neds Fish Factory in Millis, MA (not much of a SW section but sometimes gets really nice corals... and dirt cheap too)

I love SeaCreatures. I go down there sometimes and the owner is a good guy and had good prices.

moray.jpg

Back