Corals growing but color lightening up?

Den2636

Non-member
My 180 gallon sps corals have been lightening up for a while. Half of the corals have great color and the other half not so much but they have been growing like crazy. I'm wondering if my lights or skimmer have something to do with it? My lights are ATI 60 inch 8 bulb and they're about 8 inches from top of water. light schedule was 9 til 9 actinics and 11 til 7 daylights. i have recently subtracte an hour from the schedule. My skimmer is a reef octopus 500 int. Ive heard of over skimming but i didnt think it was a possibility. I do a 36 gallon water change every 2 weeks with RC salt. My parameters have good other then 1700 mag about 4 to 5 months ago with Cal also high at 500. Its usually and has been for months now at Alk=8.9 Cal=440 Mag=1380 PO4=.04. I might be getting picky and i know some corals take time to color up but some have gone in with color and have lightened up a bit. Any help i would gladly appreciate!!! Thanks! Im also having a hard time up loading pics

What's the nitrate level? I find that with very low nitrate(<0.25ppm), my sps are paler and I had to use Amino acid to color back up.
I would test the nitrate first then maybe add some amino acid or coral food.

Thanks! I tested nitrate and its undetectable or at the 0.00ppm mark. I have been dosing Aquavitro Fuel for a week so hopefully that will get more coral nut before that I was dosing AcroPower didnt really get any results out of it. Hopefully this different amino can get m e more color! Thanks again! Do you think my lighting height is good?

I'm going through the same thing with nice growth but pale colors on some acros. It all started when I reduced my feeding for about a week so I believe my nutrients dropped and threw everything off balance. I have been back on track with the feeding and things are looking a lot better.

I have a newer JF Flame frag that has gotten pale while others colored up, but I can't judge my tank by a newer animal that might still be adjusting. I'm not mad about the losing of color though because it's been encrusting at a nice rate. The plan is to slowly up my feeding and use the Flame's color as my guide. I try to feed as much as the tank allows; as soon as algae picks up I back off the feeding a bit. This was giving me awesome colors.

Not sure if this helps. Just my experience.

I don't think your light is the issue. 8" is pretty typical for light fixture height but it really depends on the depth of your tank, rock work, water clarity, and coral placement.
Another thing that way help with more color in your coral is fish load. What is your fish load? Fish poop is surprisingly beneficial to healthy corals. I'm not saying dirty your tank and your corals will look better but you have to balance the nutrients for corals and algae growth. I don't think anyone can give you a straight answer on how much nutrient you need. But try feeding the fish a bit more and add more fish if you have a very light bio-load. Just watch your tank closely for algae when you increase the feeding. I'm not a fan of adding supplements into the tank.

I wish i could post some pics but for some reason can't. I have A hippo tang, sailfin tang, yellow tang, Wantanabe Angel, Christmas wrasse, Lawmower blenny, Fancy Red Male anthia and female, Mated pair of clowns, and 2 Fire gobies. 5 times a week they get fed twice a day and 2 days just once ( because I'm at work and my girl feeds them).( this is me ) You're right about not having a straight answer for nutrient need. I guess I'll take the growth right now til i can figure out my small color issue. Thanks guys for the advice!!!

That's a fair amount of bioload but I would definitely do a bit more fish in a 180gallon. For me, growth is first priority, then it's all getting to know your system and tweak it to get the colors.

Back