CPR bakpak pre-skimmer and maxijets don't mix?

cyannotater

Non-member
Does anyone know if there are different versions of maxijet pumps with varying widths.

The reason I ask is I just purchased a maxijet1200 as an upgrade to swap out the rio600 I've been using with my CPR bakpak protein skimmer. Once I started hooking up the new pump I realized I've got two problems. The biggest problem is that the maxijet won't fit inside of the CPR pre-skimmer box. Apparently, it's about a 1/2" wider than the rio pump and just won't fit in. This surprises me since I'd read on a number of different boards of people using the maxijet in lieu of the rios. Alternatively, are there different pre-skimmer boxes to go with each pump?

The second problem is relatively minor - I didn't realize a modification was needed to have the air input to the pump making "rejuventation"-style. Has anyone modified a maxijet to do this and could you give me any advice?

Thanks a bunch.

I've done it, using a small drill bit, the MJ air adapters (the little black things) and crazy glue. You really dont need the recirculation method, a venturi alone shoudl make plenty of bubbles.

M.

Back