Customer gets "stung" now suing?

Jesus. Time to see those security tapes..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won’t allow any one reach into my tanks. Also to prevent contamination to my system.

I also have long chopsticks available to point at coral inside the tanks.

WOW!

Not siding with this guy here, but why in the world would you tell a customer to stick their hands in a tank and get something?! It just doesn't sound right. If they really tell people to do that they kind of opened them selves up for something like this to happen.

In all my years of going to a LFS, I've never been asked to get fish for my own stuff.

Sad...

WOW!

Not siding with this guy here, but why in the world would you tell a customer to stick their hands in a tank and get something?! It just doesn't sound right. If they really tell people to do that they kind of opened them selves up for something like this to happen.

In all my years of going to a LFS, I've never been asked to get fish for my own stuff.

Sad...

You've never been to Jay's then. He has a live rock system that is pick your own and is separate from everything else. Seeing as he's been open for 15+ years without issue seems to me like someone's sue happy.

Been there many times, I never bought LR from him though. And you right, there's a lot of people who will jump at the chance to sue for easy money.

Just to bring up the awareness, there are many things on live rocks that can sting, including stationary snails, bristle worms, and sometimes baby sea urchins. Also some fish can get mad and sting you when you put your hand in a reef tank. Commonly are fish like fox face, hippo tangs. Hippo tangs pack a powerful sting as their first dorsal rays are poisonous. I got zapped once by a blue hippo and the pain was unbearable. Worst of all no pain killer could stop the pain. I was rolling on the floor for two days, then the poison wore out and the pain disappeared suddenly.

I've gotten stung many times by bristleworms when moving re-arranging rock work. Makes your hands/fingers feel funny and hot, not so much pain. I've gotten stuck by long spine sea urchins not fun.

My Blonde Naso got me good with his tail spurs one time trying to pick him up and move him to another tank. Looked like I tried to hold on to a double edged knife, I had cuts on the inside of all my fingers and palm.

I was in pain and could hardly make a fist for over a week.

Man, I'd hate to live with losing my business over something as innocent as that. Very unfortunate, and unfortunately the suit may have some weight to it even though it's completely asinine to us. Could be the beginning of other suits if successful.
I remember the old sea world place up there use to let you grab rock yourself as well. Lovely pets still does etc etc.

Anyone who owns a reef tank knows that getting stung or grazed by a tang is a real possibility. I never take for granted the power of nature. The thought of suing someone because of my risk shows why we as a society we are becoming inferior and weak. Man up!!!

We need stuff like this to happen once in awhile to remind us to be careful with what we keep and not be too comfortable.
I think Jay has became too comfortable with the store(or just plain lazy) to allow this to happen. But then again, I've seen many places that allow customers to reach in the LR tanks and pick their own. I've never seen a "beware" notice or even a disclaimer notice posted anywhere in any fish store. It's an unfortunate event. I hope they can work it out without another store closing in the area.

I hope that Arthur reynolds(scumbag supreme) gets a jury trial like he wants and miracles happen that puts me as a juror and I will educate the fellow jurors and smack down his dreams of sueing jays. And to be honest I think jays is a cesspool and I hate the atmosphere there but it would be a shame to see it go.

Last edited:
I hope that Arthur reynolds(scumbag supreme) gets a jury trial like he wants and miracles happen that puts me as a juror and I will educate the fellow jurors and smack down his dreams of sueing jays. And to be honest I think jays is a cesspool and I hate the atmosphere there but it would be a shame to see it go.
Agree with the last line.

Whatever that man is claiming is garbage, I'm 100% positive there are signs in the LR tubs that say not to stick your hands in let an associate do it. Of course, I was told to go ahead and grab some but if I were stung, I wouldn't sue I proceeded at my own risk.

Back