Cyanobacteria issue

MarvinsReef

Non-member
I need some help with a small outbreak of Cyanobacteria on my substrate only. I checked my levels and all is good aside from nitrates creaping up to 10-15 ppm but phosphates are low at 0.06 ppm. I thought it was because there was a dead zone in the tank because of flow but even though I moved one of the powerheads lower down in the tank flowing across the substrate I still have the cyano grow back everyday. I purchased a bunch of nassarius snails to help which have not arrived yet but the more I read they may not eat the cyano since they are more of a carnivore. I have gravel vac'd the cyano area but it keeps coming back in the same area. Since this is a reef tank I really do not want to add chemicals to remove it. Does anyone have any other ideas? The tank has been running for about 1 year now.

Sand sifting conchs helped me out. Mine recently died and now I have some cyano coming back. Or maybe a diamond goby, something to move substrate around will help clear it out. Otherwise check to make sure your skinner is still running well and maybe carbon reactor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back