Death of a fish and odd behavior

big Mike

Non-member
I have new tank. It's a 28 gallon JBJ nano cube. Ammonia, nitrite & nitrate levels are all zero. Ph & salinity are fine, temperature 77 degrees. Last week there was a slight elevation with phosphorus, but nothing, and I quote, that would be above what you would expect from normal feeding.

Tank inhabitants... 2 Ocellaris clown fish, one each Chromis cyaneus (Blue Reef Chromis) and Chromis margaritifer (Bicolor Chromis), a hairy pin cushion urchin and a few small Kenya tress on a piece of rubble with green star polyps.

All the fish have been together in the tank for over 2 weeks. The clownfish were the last fish additions. Upon adding the clownfish, I noticed that one seemed to have settled in the corner of the tank near the heater. He seemed to prefer to swim vertically. Given the odd habits of the species, I did not think much of it. All is well, everything in the tank seems to get along, a good start right?

This morning I noticed something very odd. The clownfish that normally stays in the corner was swimming front and center with the other clownfish. It has never paired up with the other fish except for when the other clownfish or bi-color chromis came over to it's location and 'hung out' with it. Now it was happily swimming horizontally with its brethren and the bi-color chromis. It was then that I noticed the blue reef chromis was nowhere to be seen, he was always front and center. I found him, deceased in the rear of the tank.

There is nothing that would indicate that he died from 'new tank syndrome'. He did not appear stressed in any manner. He ate well and overall seemed to have adjusted to the tank perfectly. I know these are all peaceful fish, but does anyone think it could be likely that the other fish 'ganged up' on the blue chromis? I can't help but wonder if he was bullying the clown fish into the corner and the other fish said enough is enough! If the clownfish was still swimming in his usual spot in his normal manner, I would not have given it a second thought. It seems far to coincidental that his behavior changed when the blue chromis was out of the picture.

Thoughts?

Chromis have a tendency to kill each other off till there is one left.
They say to add an odd number. But, I started with 3 and ended up with one.
This is quite common when it comes to this particular species.

2nd that.. i stopped keeping chromis after they started killing each other.. I dont know why they call them peaceful, shoaling fish... may be in the wild.. not in captivity.

Thanks for the info. I am OK with one Chromis. Any fish with margarita in its name is a keeper! :drunk:

I think I had a much bigger problem. Both of my clown fish died last night. Based on what I have read, it seems likely that they had clown fish disease, Brooklynella hostilis. Willing to bet my Chromis did too. This is not how I envisioned starting my tank. To add insult to injury, I seem to have another algae bloom going on (water parameters still ok) but at least one includes the 'hard' neon green algae that will become coraline :)

I highly doubt that the Chromis Died from that...Brooklynella generally takes out Clownfish first...then moves on to other Fish (if it does at all)
IME, the Blue Reef Chromis is notoriously hard to keep in capivity (one reason I do not bring them in to sell) they are from the Atlantic and prefer lower temperatures than most people keep their tanks at...and are just tough to keep period...most likely nothing you did or could have done to prevent that loss...
Now, you say your tank is new...how new???? It could have just cycled hard and the loss was from an Ammonia spike...very common if you tank is less than 3 months old....???
And the "hard green" algae you describe will not become Coraline...I might be lower light, green Coraline Algae, or just a bloom of a different algae...very normal for your tank to go through several algae blooms in the first 6 months of trying to establish itself.

2 month old tank here. I sped up the cycling by adding starter enzymes/bacteria from the start daily for 2 weeks (also have 40# live sand and 35# live rock). I have the container but don't recall the name offhand.

I would not have expected an ammonia spike in that short of a time period. I tested the water on Sunday. I will be checking again tonight.

I was unaware of the blue reef chromis needing the cooler temperatures. I thought I had done a fair amount of research beforehand :shame. I feel a little better about the loss.

Poor 'Rita, (OK - I could not resist the name, and it's my icon). I am going to have to keep a very close eye on 'her'.

The green algae is a bright, light green color (almost neon) and it is not hairy. It seems to be at all levels of the tank, closest to the lights as well as down near the sand. It does appear to be in areas where direct lighting hits it. Regardless of what it is, it is a nice color addition. Hopefully it stays around.

Thanks!

Back