debating on breaking down my tank

drunkintimmy

Non-member
so like the title says im debating on breaking down my tank... its unfortunate because i have put so much money and effort into it. ive been working a lot more lately and havnt had as much time as i used to... im not sure if i want to break it down because of everything i have into it... can anyone help with some thoughts to help me make up my mind

How big, what's in it, what equipment, etc..?

It's always an idea to downgrade to a simple all in one tank to satisfy your reef craving. They are usually very easy to take care of and little maintenance!

Don't do it! You will find you will miss it and then you will have to start all over again! If you need help with it there are always members willing to help.:D

How big, what's in it, what equipment, etc..?

It's always an idea to downgrade to a simple all in one tank to satisfy your reef craving. They are usually very easy to take care of and little maintenance!

I agree! As a matter of fact I am in the process of going to a smaller tank do to physical disabilities.

90 gal, 2 ai vegas, neptune controller, reef octopus 1000sss skimmer, sump, phos reactor, reef flo blowhole pump, rodi ,some coral a clam and fish and rock ..... i think thats everything lol and im in the process of getting a promotion at work which starts monday and my boss has already made comments about me being around more lol would a smaller tank be a little easier?

Or just do a FOWLR tank instead of reef. I spend about 1/4 of the time on maintenance on my FOWLR than I do my reef. But downgrading and/or AIO tanks are another great option.

Or take a break. Shut it down for a few months, just sell off your livestock. Just don't get rid of your equipment; you have a nice combo there, and the money is already spent. You will almost certainly want to get back into it within a few months. I've done it twice already, and I am in the process of setting up a 90 right now myself, very similar in equipment to yours. Whichever decision you make, good luck with the promotion!

thanks... my thoughts were either do a smaller tank maybe like a 25 gallon rimless cube or something i wanna be able to clean everything in a short amount of time so it doesnt seem like a project ..... or as suggested break it down and sell off the livestock

From personal experience, I had a 210g and felt a little overwhelmed with it and was thinking of just getting out completely. My fiancee convinced me to just downgrade and I ended downgrading to a 100g and from there to a 34g. Now I'm so glad I didn't get out completely because for now I feel myself enjoying a small tank a lot more than with the big one. I might upgrade to a 50g and stay at that one for a long time.

I say just downgrade to a smaller one. Cubes are awesome!

During the years I went from a 95 G reef tank to 2 nano tanks (14 and 12G). The 14 is a biocube with all in it. Yes, it is easier to take care off and give you a lot of satisfaction. Remember to have a good system for ATO and then you only clean glasses and change water once a week in 45'. In my case I neither waste time doing the water. I am using Petco Ocean water. I do not supplement and just do 10% water changes. I tried to make it as simple and easy I could. It has been working well for the last 2 months.

I do not have too much time at home. Lights are setup in a way I can enjoy the tanks till I go bed. On top of that I have frequent travels and my wife has to take a look.

Do not leave the hobby, but downsize to a level you personally enjoy and do not feel it as a problem.

Look for nano tanks pictures on Internet and you will be astonish of what you find. To have a nice well done tank is not always a question of size.

CONGRATULATIONS for your promotion.

Last edited:
Don't get out of the Hobby! You will regret it and want another tank six months later! I have a Red Sea Max 130D and love it! I have upgraded all the internal parts (protein skimmer, lights, media rack, ATO and put a controller on it), but I spend 1/2 an hour total each week doing a 5 Gal water change, cleaning the glass and filters. I have a lot of SPS in the tank and so far have not had to dose anything other than Kalkwasser in my ATO. Maintenance is minimal compared to a much larger tank and the enjoyment far out-weighs the work! In my opinion, get a Red Sea Max or a Bio-Cube. You will not regret it!

I agree with downsizing or breaking down, but keeping the
Setup. Hobbies/passions like this don't go away, and there's always regret getting rid of things, and costs much more again to get back into. It is what it is...

I met a girl and slacked on my tank for a bit and debated breaking it down. I thought I was losing interest. However, I kept it maintained and I am glad I did. I ended up buying a tank double in size. So glad I didn't have to start over! Make sure you think about this long and hard...

thanks a lot guys for all your help. i love this hobby and dont want to leave it. i just need to figure out how to make it less work so i can enjoy it more and i think downsizing is the way to go

Before breaking down or even downgrade, think of what exactly the tank need your attention on and work on automating that. You can make a tank work even if you less time for it. If you've lost interest, then it's another story.
Also, think of the time that you spend on the tank. Is it really necessary? You can cut down on browsing and lusting over new skimmer, lights, pumps, etc. You can also cut down significantly on meeting people to sell/buy a 20$ frag and going to the lfs store.

+1 to P-Nut. Maybe we can help you save some time by just simply changing the way you do things like water changes ETC. I use to lug buckets around. Now I use a garbage barrel on castors and this saves me time and energy.

+2
I have a 150g and only spend 1hr every other week doing a water change/cleaning. Other than that its 3min every night prepping food and dumping it in :)

In my opinion...better big with few fish than small.

100gal + tanks are very stable (if you don't overstock). Corals have room to get huge and look good.

- Automate dosing.
- ATO
- you can even automate a water change using a couple of good dosing pumps. (I had it planed for mine, I just don't have the space now).
- cleaning the glass is a PITA...but if you don't overstock and don't overfeed you only have to clean it once a week.

I totally agree. I got rid of my 60 cube and now have a Innovative Marine 16 gallon. It's in AIO that's very easy to take care of. I thought of selling everything and quitting completely but have done that before and had a new tank within six month and was back in. I'm enjoying less work and still have two clowns, two cardinals, goby, pistol shrimp and a bunch of zoas and LPS. In a few years I'll move back up to a bigger tank again. I think there is a balance between time and enjoyment gotten out of our tanks. When it becomes more of a chore than an enjoyment it is time to re-think things.

From personal experience, I had a 210g and felt a little overwhelmed with it and was thinking of just getting out completely. My fiancee convinced me to just downgrade and I ended downgrading to a 100g and from there to a 34g. Now I'm so glad I didn't get out completely because for now I feel myself enjoying a small tank a lot more than with the big one. I might upgrade to a 50g and stay at that one for a long time.

I say just downgrade to a smaller one. Cubes are awesome!

Back