Did the price of Hippo and yellow Tangs

stingythingy45

BRS Member
Double or triple in the past 2-3 years?
Seen some prices on Hippos the size of a quarter over $50.

I was thinking that, too! I bought one a few weeks ago for $54.99 because it was so little and cute.

I paid $55 for my 2" Yellow Belly Hippo! I didn't think it was too bad... I have had him for almost 1 year now, he is almos about 3.5" now. I did get him from Live Aquaria though. Some places were asking $80+ for it though.

yes, like everything the price of Fish is effected and has gone up quite a bit over the last few years. Mostly due to the cost of getting the Fish here from the South Pacific. Live Aquaria can sell at those prices cause it is just shipped straight out of a wholesaler in LA (unless it is Diver's Den) But $80 for East Coast retail for a tiny Hippo Tang is very high (IMO) We sell our small Blue Hippo Tangs for $50 and we currently have some tiny African Yellow Belly Hippo Tangs that are $40 (but that is cause they where on sale from my supplier. normally they would cost $65)
So really it is going to sepend on the source. each shop uses different suppliers and has a different set of overhead that determnes the markup. (one reason I moved out of Boston...our prices are pretty much 20% lower than they were in Boston, just due to the lower overhead)

I got my yellow tang for 40. A nice one, not the size of a quarter. I bought it at lovely pets maybe 4-5 months ago.

feed it 4-5 times a day or you wil likely loose it
like kids that age then need a lot of food

Liveaquria has Hippo tang for sale at $29.99
Anyone want to join in a pooled order?

Save money for all of us.
Also, I am very happy with LiveAquaria. Great service and great fish.
Their two-week warrenty is a great peace of mind.

Last edited:
lol...charge.....
jumping-smiley-011.gif
to the online vendor.....

crush the LFS!!!!
violent-smiley-008.gif

sad-smiley-020.gif

Last edited:
Back