dipping sponged need info asap

RiverReefer

Toothless Reefing
Just bought a gorgeous orange sponge from a lfs. Problem is that the person that sold it to me knew nothing about it and my knowledge on sponges is limited. Can anyone tell me if I can dip this thing in fwe iodine interceptor ? I know not to let it hit air but after that nada. Also lighting? Low light? High light? Its a round orange sponge about the size of a baseball not a fan sponge... Not sure on species. Anyone on tonight plz help if u know.

the sponge is most likeley non photosynthetic, feeding it with very small foods 50-200 microns will give it the best chance of survival i beleive.
i probably would not dip it although its risky not to

yessir...dipped it for about 5 hours...was fine going in...was fine this morning, it had been in the tank for about 6 hours with lights out when i left for work this morning...we'll see when i get home...was tricky dipping it and then having to do w ater changes in the specimen container to get the chems out of there before submerging the specimen container in the tank...but all went well so far so good..thing is siiiiiiiick.

i didn't dip mine but.... your not out of the woods yet. I've bought about 4 sponges, of which only 1 has survived. after about 2 weeks you should start to see decay (aka, it turns white). If it doesn't, then i'd think your in the clear. FWIW the blue ball sponge is the only one that survived for me. I failed with orange :(

Excuse my negative approach. you asked for people with experience with sponges, whats posted above has been mine.

nah its cool i understand they're difficult species to keep...we'll see...i would take a pic but the only camera i have is a crappy digital and i hate the way the tank looks with it...gotta buy a dslr...add it to the growing list. its about the size of a baseball bright orange/red.

Back