Do You Run RowaPhos?

>However, I like your scheme of 3 reactors in series... makes it easier to change out media (little at a time vs all at once charging). Is there any other advantage to using separate reactors ?<

The advantage of not shocking things was mentioned, though I'll say I've never seen the PO4 removers to be so effective that you could shock anything (at least with a bioload higher than Brian's!!). One of the reasons I use three in series is that it can be used more efficiently that way (at least theoretically). When I put a new reactor on line, it is the last in the series. Because the media is fresh, it is more likely to be able to pull down the phosphate to a very low level in the water flowing through the reactors. The older reactors come first, the theory being that they still may have some life left.

Regarding using the GFO just in a media bag...never worked for me. Always seemed just become a solid brick in no time.

Using the Two Little Fishies and checking with the Elos test kit. Do not drop the level too quickly and you do not want to bring it to zero.

I don't think I have enough gfo to bring mine to zero even if I used the whole bucket I got from your group buy Greg. I could see how it could happen in Brian's case though. I think there was another low nutrient system that had problems when they used it also. I don't want to mention who it was unless they want to join in here.

I use Rowa in the media chamber of my HOB skimmer(only 65gal tank) and a Hanna phosphate meter to test once every few weeks. I usually get 0.03 to 0.05 readings. I also do weekly water changes and feed frozen twice a day. I change the Rowa once a month along with the carbon. Haven't seen hair algea since! The meter is worth the money. Regular test kits stink at reading Po4 although i haven't tried the Elos...

Level

Yes, I brought mine down too fast a few years ago and my colonies began to exhibit "RTN". I remember there was lots of discussion regarding this on RC where others had problems. I think the key is, as you mentioned, bringing down the phosphate slowly. I guess I'll need a more accurate test kit to monitor phosphate since my test kit yields <0.01 (Salifert)
Using the Two Little Fishies and checking with the Elos test kit. Do not drop the level too quickly and you do not want to bring it to zero.

Meter

Any idea how much (ballpark) the meter costs and it's accuracy/resolution?

I use Rowa in the media chamber of my HOB skimmer(only 65gal tank) and a Hanna phosphate meter to test once every few weeks. I usually get 0.03 to 0.05 readings. I also do weekly water changes and feed frozen twice a day. I change the Rowa once a month along with the carbon. Haven't seen hair algea since! The meter is worth the money. Regular test kits stink at reading Po4 although i haven't tried the Elos...

Back