How many run backup heater?

JPags

BRS Member
Woke up yesterday to a tank at 74. My heater did not turn on. My apex was notifying me but my phone is on s DND overnight.

I used to have an ac/heater unit that always acted as backup but removed it when I did not use it this summer and needed some space under the tank.

I think I’m going to put it back after this incident.

I also setup my Apex to sms text me notifications and setup my iPhone to override the DND and notify my. Need to test that out to make sure it is enough to wake me up

I don't run a backup heater, but I do run a backup controller as an extra monitor. The apex controls my heaters and I have the wifi inkbird unit as a secondary alarm.

I have a heater in each tank (2) and the main heater in the shared sump. I guess I run the risk of a heater not turning off with this setup, but it makes sure I would need 3 concurrent failures to turn off to get cold. All 3 are on separate controllers. I do not really pay attention to which ones turn on when (if at all).

I run 2 smaller heaters instead of 1 large heater. There is very loud siren / buzzer connected to one of the 24VDC ports on the EB832. The siren is almost as loud a smoke alarm.

Output Configuration
If W2HIGH CLOSED Then ON
If LEAK_0 CLOSED Then ON
If Tmp > 83.0 Then ON

... and just added
If Tmp < 76.0 Then ON

The siren looks similar to this.
F01011E9-C9FF-419B-838A-8B1E0C976564.jpeg

I run 2 Jager 150 watt heaters. One as a primary and one as a secondary with profilux 4 controlling them based upon the temp sensor at 77 degrees.

I run 2 smaller heaters instead of 1 large heater. There is very loud siren / buzzer connected to one of the 24VDC ports on the EB832. The siren is almost as loud a smoke alarm.

Output Configuration
If W2HIGH CLOSED Then ON
If LEAK_0 CLOSED Then ON
If Tmp > 83.0 Then ON

... and just added
If Tmp < 76.0 Then ON

View attachment 158844
Did you buy the Siren from somewhere? Thats an interesting idea to use one of the 24 volt ports. I have a display module and will setup the audible alarm on it and test it out to see if I can hear it too but would love something better for emergencies.

I run 3 heaters because they keep up with the temp better in the wintertime.
And no, I would never run a tank on just one heater. I rather have 2 small ones than one big one.
Yea I always felt safe when I had the backup heater on the Chiller unit. Now that I don't run it, I will always run a backup heater with its own controller, especially after this incident. Luckily there was no issue since I was able to bring the tank back to temp as soon as I got up.

Output Configuration
If W2HIGH CLOSED Then ON
If LEAK_0 CLOSED Then ON
If Tmp > 83.0 Then ON

... and just added
If Tmp < 76.0 Then ON

View attachment 158844
Did you literally just add the low monitor after this thread? Glad I can be of help :ROFLMAO:

Did you buy the Siren from somewhere? Thats an interesting idea to use one of the 24 volt ports. I have a display module and will setup the audible alarm on it and test it out to see if I can hear it too but would love something better for emergencies.
I used these along with the Neptune DC24 to Bare Wire Accessory cable. With the leftover cable and a molex connector I made a 2nd alarm.

These weren’t around when I did the DIY siren, but I’d probably just buy one of these instead of DIY. The price for 1 is about the same. If you already have the crimping tool, you could just buy the siren and molex connectors to save a few dollars.

I don’t remember, but I probably followed this thread at the time.

Last edited:
I used these along with the Neptune DC24 to Bare Wire Accessory cable. With the leftover cable and a molex connector I made a 2nd alarm.

These weren’t around when I did the DIY siren, but I’d probably just buy one of these instead of DIY. The price for 1 is about the same. If you already have the crimping tool, you could just buy the siren and molex connectors to save a few dollars.

I don’t remember, but I probably followed this thread at the time.
oh nice, ill just buy one. those are nice, not sure why Apex does not have an audible alarm on the unit. Its kind of stupid.

Like others I run multiple heaters. I have two 150W heaters on an Inkbird Controller. Redundancy and (as mentioned above) keeps up better in the winter without overstressing one heater.

I run an apex with heaters in the sump that run through an ink bird and I'm putting one in the tank controlled through hydros and a second inkbird. To many tank temp horror stories lately for my liking.

I’ve got the new innovative marine Helio PTC, it’s got dual heating elements plus a secondary temp probe for the controller. I guess that’s like having a back up heater right? Seems like a good heater so far

I have a 300W in the DT and a 100W in the sump just for redundancy.

I have an Inkbird controlling them, but it produces wild swings of -2.5F - +0.2F. Which is just strange, that the setpoint is 80F but it swings from 77.5-80.2F. I’m not familiar with that kind of PID control..

I have a 300W in the DT and a 100W in the sump just for redundancy.

I have an Inkbird controlling them, but it produces wild swings of -2.5F - +0.2F. Which is just strange, that the setpoint is 80F but it swings from 77.5-80.2F. I’m not familiar with that kind of PID control..
I was having that as well, then I bought a new (and longer) probe for it and it stabilized

Back