Does calcium oxide go bad?

dedfish

That's Mr.Murphy to you!
I have a 5 gallon bucket full of calcium oxide. It has been stored with the lid tightly on since May of 2005. Does this stuff go bad?

Since 2005? That is close to 1/10 of a century yeals old.
I do not think I want to take any risk .

Tran

Does not go bad. If moisture gets in will slowly convert to calcium hydroxide (still good). If carbon dioxide gets in (from the air) it will slowly convert to calcium carbonate (coral dust), still not a problem. Also a huge amount of carbon dioxide would have to get in to convert much of it to calicum carbonate. But....if you don't want it anymore, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.:D

Please come take it off my hands. It is all yours. It was bought as part of the large group buy that happened back in 2005. It's always been stored in a bucket with a tight lid. I also have what I think is a bucket dow flake....it's some kind of flake and I can't imagine what else it would be. Also free. Please take it off my hands before the end of the month.

I'll trade you 10 lbs of original unused southdown for the lot :D

If Greg wants it he's first in line. And I just sold a 50lb bag of original southdown last week.

I was just joking, I suspect that you and I are members of a very select group of reefers that actually still have any SD :)

IIRC the bag I donated to the 2005 auction took upwards of $20 :D

I'm moving and have to get out of the hobby and getting rid of most all my old stuff. That was the last of my southdown. :-(

Ahhh, so the southdown club is getting even more exclusive now :)

Just kidding, good luck with the move.

Back