Why does all the frag glue eventually fail?

MarkSzy

BRS Member
Does anyone else have the same problem? It seems like I have to re glue all my frags several times to my rock work until they grow and start to encrust no matter what type of glue I try!

What’s worse is one of the new high end corals I just bought came off and fell into my rock work and I can’t find it!

What does everyone do to ensure their frags stay in place? I have tried several brands and they all fail sooner or later. Thanks

I've never really had this issue and I'm just using $1 store super glue. Maybe you're not using enough?

Make sure you’re using the gel type not just regular super glue. I use the cheap stuff from the dollar store and it works like a charm.

Attachments

• IMG_1796.jpeg
    IMG_1796.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 10
I use the expensive stuff and they still fall off, the brand Reef glue and I put huge globs to make sure it goes into the holes of the rock.

Do you prep the rock you are gluing to?

You need to dig into the rock with a knife or something sharp to make a little divot on the rock. Then the frag into the divot with glue will likely to hold up than on a flat surface.
I always try to find a hole on the rock to glue the frags on.

I use the expensive stuff and they still fall off, the brand Reef glue and I put huge globs to make sure it goes into the holes of the rock.

Do you prep the rock you are gluing to?
Ahh I have no experience with that stuff.

I don’t prep the rock, if anything use a big glob and dab it on the rock a few times before holding it in place for a few seconds.

If you go to 5:20 in this video this is the technique I use. (As described above)

Ahh I have no experience with that stuff.

I don’t prep the rock, if anything use a big glob and dab it on the rock a few times before holding it in place for a few seconds.

If you go to 5:20 in this video this is the technique I use. (As described above)

I have tried twisting the plug once I have put it down to help work the glue in as well.

A technique that several people have recommended to me has worked well for me. You don't just put glue on the frag. Before that, you put some glue on your finger and smear it into the spot on the rock where the frag is going to go. It's important to get some glue on the rock first. Super glue loves to adhere to more superglue. This is similar to the Jake Adams thing in the video above where he pushed it down pulled up, pushed it down again.

I think a big part of the problem is that the saltwater acts as an accelerant for curing the surface of the glue as soon as it hits the water. So you need to mechanically move and squish it around some to break the “crust” of instantly cured surface glue, then the fresher glue can adhere better to the rock. Prepping the rock helps to get rid of algae or bacterial film that might adhere to the glue instead of the rock. But mine still fall off (usually due to inverts I think).

Back