Does your tank room get salt residue?

beantown

Non-member
My display tank is in our finished basement.

The tank is built into the wall with the open side in the "utility" room.
The tank is 90Gallons with a 55Gallon sump.

The utility room is approx. 20x14 and also has:
Oil Burner
Network equipment for the house.

Here's the problem....

Everything in the utility room has a thin layer of soot/dust on it.
I always thought this was simple dust, but got curious recently.

Yep, I swiped my finger over a network switch to spy the "dust" contaminate.
I inserted my newly "dusty" finger into my mouth for a taste.

Pure salt taste.

Does anyone experience this?

I recently installed a HEPA air filter in the room to see if it removes this residue before it settles on expensive equipment that shares the utility room.

This salt residue has taken out numerous pieces of equipment in this room.
Basically anything that uses a fan for cooling itself is toast in about a year in there.

The network equipment can be relocated easily enough. If it were me, my concern would be the residue from the oil burner or the burner malfunctioning and wiping out the tank.

Salty residue and high humidity is usually never usually a consideration when designing an in wall using a small enclosed room to house the sump and equipment, but often becomes a major isuue down the line. You may want to consider using a vent fan like a bathroom unit to exhaust the room air to the outdoors.

I have no salt deposits in my fish room or display room after 4 yrs. I've found that eliminating all bubbles in the sump (bubble traps on drains etc) keeps things clean.

I agree with stevenp, are you minimizing salt spray into the air? I know i had a lot of salt mist coming off of my drain feeding the sump when I first set it up.

Here's what I use for bubble traps on my drains.

I've found that something as simple as a CA RX effluent dripping too high off the water surface can cause salt particles to become airborne and CA deposits to accumulate above the water line.

Last edited:
Back