Does your tank smell?

this is me

I like turtles
BRS Member
My folks are complaining about the smell coming from the tank. I do admit that it does smell when i feed and when the fan is on. What can I do?
I'm planning to remove the dsb this summer when school is out and hopefully that will help with the odor. I'm not blaming this on the dsb, my tank works great with dsb for over a year. It just that I wanted more flow(putting a tunze 6010) so the dsb has to be out. I just hope that the smell will stop after i get rid of my dsb. Summer is usually the worst time of the year where i have the fan blowing at the tank and all the windows are closed due to the AC.
Anyone else have this problem?

None of my tanks smell or I will have three female in the house protesting.

Smell for me usually comes from alge. check the rim of the tank right above the waterline and overflows and such for growth. I don't think the water alone should have enough nutrients in it to smell unless you have a nutrient issue.

BTW I have no problems running 2 6000s with a dsb (well rinsed sand).

When i just set it up, no problem....no odor...But after 6 months or so, it started to stink only when i feed. Maybe i'll get rid of all the fishes and stop the feeding...:(

~Flighty~ said:
Smell for me usually comes from alge. check the rim of the tank right above the waterline and overflows and such for growth. I don't think the water alone should have enough nutrients in it to smell unless you have a nutrient issue.

Your tank is a 120,
mine is a 37......:D

Hard to decribe.
it just smell only when i feed. Maybe it is the fish food, But i feed once a day and very little since i dont have much fish in there.

Yea...when you feed try turning off your skimmer for a bit. I've read a lot about people's skimmers going nuts when they feed. Maybe it's making the awful smell. My 20L with 9 gal fuge doesn't smell at all.

What kinds of food do you feed? Might be worth trying different foods?

My tank doesn't smell unless there's crap accumulating in the overflow (usually dinoflagellate goo), and even then, it really only smells when I'm scooping it out and have my nose over it.

Try putting some activated carbone in your filter and running that for awhile. I used to get fish tank smell on my fresh tanks, and this would allways work. I have never had the issue on a salt tank, but i constantly run carbon.

I agree. carbon/good scraping/water change

If you have a smelly tank, it is almost definitely algaeeeeeeeeee

Are you skimming? If so, maybe it's the collection cup. If not, maybe that's why too. I would also recommend running carbon if you are not already. If you are, maybe you're not running enough of it often enough. My tank doesn't have any foul odors. The collection bucket is another story though....

smell

~Flighty~ said:

my overflows smell but thats only when i clean them

I have my tank in my bedroom, and it stinks sometimes. It usually starts to smell when my collection cup starts to fill, and once it smelled real bad because I let the cup overflow. Also, I just trimmed alot of my algae out of my hob fuge, and that helped alot. In my room I don't use those spray air fresheners because of obvious reasons, but I do use those little ones that plug in, and that helps alot.

well Nikki, i went out and bought a plug-in as well.
I do skim and my tank is pretty much SPS.
I'm running Chemi-Pure which is a carbon substitute. I wonder if i switch to carbon, will it be any better.

How does your skimmer vent,sometimes you can fabricate a small chamber to hold carbon which will filter the air coming out of your skimmer.I know mine stank until i got the waste collector with the carbon filter on top.
-Liam.

Back