dosing Kalkwasser via dosing pump ?

reefstarter

Non-member
So I am considering adding Kalkwasser to my arsenal of gadgets to keep this system happy . I recently switched over to my calcium reactor again due to the shear volume of suppliments needed to keep things stable was starting to get a bit out of hand . dosing 90-100 mils daily of calcium and alk . That can get expensive . My reactor needs to run at a pretty good clip to keep up and as we know PH drops from using a reactor can be problematic . so I either leave the windows open all the time or dose Kalk . This isn't a problem as yet but one added benefit of dosing kalk is to hopefully be able to dial back the reactor some and allow for more expansion over time . IE more corals . I have a dosing pump just sitting there and thought maybe using that to add the kalk . if I do the math and figure how much evep I am getting daily I can figure an amount to add that will keep my sump stable and help a lot . Has anyone done this ?

001 - Copy.JPG.....
This is my set up... the 28 gallon sump Is in the basement...looking at the picture right to left...the middle "tank" is the kalkwasser ATO tank...in the sump are two PVC floats that are home made and use simple,inexpensive and reliable snap switches.. the float on the right is the level switch( the one on the left is a low level switch that shuts off the return pump in case the overflow should loose it's prime)... that turns on a 350 gph pump in the ATO tank.. that feeds a two little fishies reactor ( far right)..it keeps my 75 gallon mixed reef tank happy..my DKH stays steady @ 10...my calcium is always around 450..my PH Averages 8.4.. .. the only thing I add is magnesium twice a week to keep the mag between 1400 -1450 other than that 2 teaspoons of vinegar twice daily...is all the dosing I do..

you can do it with a drip system. I used an air control valve and some tubing into an old Oceanic salt container(plastic) to feed Kalkwater. I just mix it up get the siphon going and set the drip rate. I always thought it would clog but it never did. or you could just add it to your top off water

AS far as figuring out the amount it is trial and error. This is also a good way to start just to see if it gives you the effect you think it will.

As far as CO2 from a CA reactor being an issue, it is negligible. If you vent the sump room with a bathroom fan all CO2 issues from the tank will be resolved as well as a huge amount of moisture is also removed. I run a bathroom fan it is 50watts barely a flicker on my electrical meter.

Back