dosing opinions

gordonzoo

Non-member
With my anticipated vacation this summer I need to make tank care the easiest it can be.
I?m looking into a dosing pump or pumps to help with top off and CalK,
I know a Calcium reactor will do it but I'll ask for that come Christmas :D .
Anyway what does everyone use and what are you finding the most reliable. I hear a lot about Kangaroo. I would like to be able to Dose Kalk at night and turn it off in the daytime which may be an issue with some of the units.

Please let me know your opinions.
Rich

Rich, I think I've tried every pump on the market! I started off with a Kangaroo, but the tubing in the pump set kept cracking - I had to replace it once a month (you have to get them off ebay or at a medical supplies store). Every time it leaked I had kalk water on the rug. I got smart and put it in a bucket. It finally leaked so much kalk water that the unit just stopped working.

Then I bought an Aqua Medic SP 3000. Very small, relatively inexpensive ($80), effective peristaltic pump - when it was working! I went through two of these. The thing would just die on me - always when I was away from home. The last time it broke I was desperate for a temporary fix so I bought an Aqua Lifter pump for $10. It's been working for a few months with no problems at all. I pump from about 20 feet away, and up 6 feet. I've heard you have to stay on top of cleaning them, so I'm going to be running vinegar through it once a month. I use this in conjunction with a reeffanatic dual float switch and controller. I really love this. It has two float switches which you can set for a low and high water level - good safety feature. They don't get clogged like a regular float valve. No matter what pump I use, I'm definitely going to stick with the reeffanatic.

In my new tank, I've temporarily set up a gravity feed to a regular float valve (until I can move my permanent system from old tank). I really don't like this system at all. The kalk constantly clogs the float valve and I'm so afraid of having the whole jug of kalk water drip into the system. I have a ball valve on the feed but it still makes me nervous.

Here's the like to the reeffanatic system:

http://www.reeffanatic.com/products/float-switch-and-level-control/

I weighed the pros and cons of each system. I would much rather have the cheap Aqua Lifter pump fail and not pump any water into the system than have a float valve get stuck and drip 20 gallons resulting in a flood.

HTH -
Daire

FWIW, I see that Aquatic Ecosystems sells an inexpensive peristaltic dosing pump ~$80 I think. I have know idea about reliability since I've never experimented with that particular pump.

My experience has been very good with using a USPlastic valve for kalk. It has never gotten stuck. I have two and I trade it out and soak it every few months, but I've never had trouble. Mine is gravity fed from my RO reservoir, through my kalk reactor. I am putting together a solenoid control system to regulate the kalk flow, but it isn't done yet. It will close if a high-level float switch in the sump or display is closed because of some plumbing problem. I'll also plug the power supply into a timer so I can dose kalk only at night.

A neighbor has a Kent valve, and that thing clogs very often (but only when he's away :)). FWIW, these tend to fail closed (unless something gets under the float, but that's a danger with any mechanical water level sensor).

Nate

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back