downsizing a mag 18

maneoxfidelis

wannabe fish nerd
I currently have a mag 18 running my return on my 125. standard aga RR. 100lbs of rock, plenty of flow in the display. mostly sps.
want to downsize(microbubbles) to something maybe 900gph @ 4' of head.
preferably submersible but any suggestions are welcome.

You can always put a ball valve on the output and dial the mag 12 back a bit. It won't hurt the pump as long as the restriction is on the output.

I'm no expert but I would check your sump for bubbles being sucked in to the intake of the mag. Even closing the valve some will not completely do it.

tried that. its not from the skimmer either. I'm getting bubbles in my drains and alot of noise in the overflows. the only thing I can attribute it too is a high turnover rate. I hate rios but mags are powerhogs as well. so I'm thinking I may either suck it up and drill my sump and go external or look into the pentair quiet ones or an eheim?

How do you have the drains set up?

Sometimes a little fine tuning with the duroso's and plumbing can go a long way.

the drains are pretty standard, its the "megaflow" kit. I have them set fairly high in the overflows to prevent some of the "water running" noise.

My return empties into a 200 micron sock. It is the only way I have found to stop the bubbles even though I have a bubble trap.

Back