downsizing and have a few questions

Dp11

Non-member
I’ve been thinking of downsizing going from my 55 gal to 10 gal and had a few questions, can I just take some of my sand, water and live rock from the 55 and just add it to the 10 gal and then add the fish and corals?
Also I want to keep 2 clown fish, 1 RBTA, and a few of my corals (Acan, candy canes, frogspawn, chalice, war coral…) should I run a small protein skimmer?
your thought would be much appreciated
thanks

I think just transfering from your large tank would be fine. Alot of people advocate for new sand but i kept mine for my upgrade and everything was fine.

I ran my first reef in a IM nuvo 8 gallon and no protein skimmer. I think that with such a small water volume, water changes should be all you need.

The only thing i would caution agains is the 2 clowns in a 10 gallon. I had 2 in my 8 for a whioe but they were too teritorial and one got picked on to the point i had to turn him into the store.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2 clownfish in a 10 gallon is fine and their initial mating process can be a little harsh.
Water change is all that needed in a small tank like that. Small protein skimmer does not work well and it is a waste of money. In addition to weekly 10% water change, you can use a small hang on back filter such as aquaclear to run activated carbon from time to time. Chemi pure media also works well in a small tank but you still need to keep up with the water change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back