Ethics of copyrighting

Yes, doesn't sound like there are likely "damages" here, so getting lawyers involved seems unnecessary and counter-productive...but without question you should now publicly demand that he cease and desist from claiming copyright over your intellectual property. You could be 'political' about it and provide him with an 'out' if you so choose...something to the effect of "I'm sure you this was accidental on your part, however, as the copyright holder of this photo I am obligated to request that you remove your 'copyright' claim to this intellectual property."

If you knowing let him claim copyright it is highly unlikely that you could at a future date enforce your copyright. It is entirely feasible that a court could potentially rule against you in court if you choose not to PUBLICLY send notice to him of his copyright violation because you in essence were not attempting to enforce your intellectual property rights.

I'd suggest getting this out in the open. If you want to be nice about it, simply phrase it in such a way as to let him acknowledge his 'oversight' without any real embarrasment... If you want to really call him on it, don't be so nice and make a statement that describes his lack of response to your PMs and re-iterate forcefully that you demand he cease and desist from using your intellectual property without your permission on the forum or anywhere else.

IMHO, say something publicly, either politely or forcefully. He is incredibly out of line to even use someone else's intellectual property let alone claim it is his own!

Looks to me like the moral to this story is to always copyright images publicly posted.

Just to avoid any misunderstandings :)

Tagging along with an already overwhelming voice in the crowd. I believe the "author" could have been in contact with you, fixed the error and become a better person. Ignoring your requests is downright A-holish. I hope you find some justice. Good luck!

It is possible that the guy had a directory full of images and ran a script on them that put copyrights on them all. As a unix guy that's how I'd do things. Not saying he didn't knowingly steal the image, just saying the copyrighting may not have been as deliberate and nefarious a deed as most assume.

--cn

I had that thought initially also...but it seems like if that was all it was it would have been resolved by now...the guilty often act the part, here is no exception

Also, that seems like a very hand-done placement of the coppywrite notice. You would expect a batch job to be in a corner regardless of the picture actually being two frames on a white background.

Speaking of stealing material!!! Greg you were right there when I took that picture on a disposable camera through my "Little Johnny the Biologist" 10X microscope.

Oh the hypocrisy!!!!

;-)

JK

Seriously though - inquiring minds want to know? Who was it?? My guess is professor plum! He has been implicated in many, many unsolved murders, so copyright infringement would probably seem like no big deal to him.

Interesting...I have absolutely NO education regarding copywrite law, but even when I wrote about my red bugs, I used my own picture..and yes Jake...mine was taken with a sub-par camera on a projector type 50X hobby microscope :)

When I realized my pictures literally stunk...I wanted to show better views of the critters on corals etc... I asked Marc (Melev) if I could use his images. I wasn't thinking of copywrite issues...just common courtesy.

What happened to common courtesy?

D

>It is possible that the guy had a directory full of images and ran a script on them that put copyrights on them all. <

Certainly, and that's what I figured. But three weeks is a long time to ignore the problem after being alerted to it.

>Also, that seems like a very hand-done placement of the coppywrite notice. You would expect a batch job to be in a corner regardless of the picture actually being two frames on a white background.<

The white background is due to my editing. When I imported the photo into Microsoft paint (about the only tool I had on the computer I was using) and 'spraypainted' over the name in the copyright I was unable to crop the photo back to it's original size. The photo is exactly identical to the one in my article except for the watermark.

So who is it Greg. I?m sure we can embarrass him enough for him to make amends. (Tactfully of course);)

Greg Hiller said:
Certainly, and that's what I figured. But three weeks is a long time to ignore the problem after being alerted to it.

Agreed. I was just trying to calm the mob down a bit. I figured most people put copyright watermarks on their images only very occasionally and by hand, unless they're publishing stuff regularly on the web like this guy apparently does.

I'm not defending his lame response to you. And I respect your restraint given the jeers of the lynch mob here. ;)

--cn

Greg Hiller said:
...Certainly, and that's what I figured. But three weeks is a long time to ignore the problem after being alerted to it...
Three weeks is a long time, and so I agree with the sentiment of everyone else that this is the time to go forward in public.

While I admit that my tar is boiling on the stove and the I've got a bag of feathers and a rail ready, I must remind myself that there is a right way and a wrong way to go about this, at least at this juncture. Its not time for the lynch mob, in my opinion, yet...

My only advice is to post your accusation in a manner that gives him the chance to apologize (i.e.: "it has come to my attention that..." yada yada yada "...I tried to contact you, but so far have heard no reply..." yada yada yada "...So what the deal, buddy?"). You need not worry about people feeling you're in the right here -- it is plainly evident that he stole from you,

Matt:cool:

I'm getting a little aggrevated. I keep doing search after search and all I find is Greg's Advan Aqua. article....

Glad I'm keeping you busy Darren!!

I have directly emailed (rather than PMed) the person. We will see if they respond.

Back