Euroreef skimmer ? To much water comming in

Ba19Ma88

Non-member
I have a 5-2 and no matter where I put the riser tube the flow coming into the collection cup is way to fast. I have tried all locations of the tube from all the way up (there it is like you are just pumping tank water into the cup) to all the way down the cup will over flow within 30 seconds.

Set up is as follows.

Inside the sup there is a mag 18, skimmer and the down tube has a filter sock to help with the sediment of the Southdown. Also an acrylic box with holes drilled and about 20 lbs of rock rubble.

The sand storm has went way down and I cannot figure out what is wrong with the euro reef as when I was curing LR and using it worked fine. Only difference is it is now in the sump vs. a Rubbermaid tub. The skimmer intake pump is pretty close and (I cannot change it) to the down spout tube with the sock.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Bruce

Initially when you put a new skimmer to the tank, it does that and i think it's normal. Lower the riser pipe if you get too much skimmette. I think after a day or two it will be much better. I have noticed the similar behaviour when i first put the skimmer to the new setup.

How deep is the water it is in? Try raising it up the skimmer a little or lowering the water level in the sump

The skimmer was running fine for about 3 weeks now it is sitting in about 8 inches of water in my new tank.

I am going to guess 8 inches is to much water try putting something under the skimmer to raise it up a little, make an eggcrate stand with PVC legs to put under the skimmer.

Maybe the output tube is clogged. Take it apart and make sure something hasn't gotten stuck or overgrown in the output tube. It shouldn't be a depth problem if it ran fine for 3 weeks previously, with the same depth of water.

Check the little nipple on the venturi I bet it?s clogged with salt build up. You may need a nail or something to clean it. That salt can get pretty hard and crusty. Euro-Reef says that the optimal skimmer level in the sump is 6 to 8 inches.

Also if you outlet tube works loose...it will fill way to quick..if thats the case you grab the outlet tube and push it back..if thats the one you got from me though...its not the tube, probably is that you water level in the sump is to high, in which case doing what ray said will work fine.
Ba19Ma88 said:
I have a 5-2 and no matter where I put the riser tube the flow coming into the collection cup is way to fast. I have tried all locations of the tube from all the way up (there it is like you are just pumping tank water into the cup) to all the way down the cup will over flow within 30 seconds.

Set up is as follows.

Inside the sup there is a mag 18, skimmer and the down tube has a filter sock to help with the sediment of the Southdown. Also an acrylic box with holes drilled and about 20 lbs of rock rubble.

The sand storm has went way down and I cannot figure out what is wrong with the euro reef as when I was curing LR and using it worked fine. Only difference is it is now in the sump vs. a Rubbermaid tub. The skimmer intake pump is pretty close and (I cannot change it) to the down spout tube with the sock.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Bruce

That happens to me from time to time with my EuroReef... I believe Dennis is right, it's probably a clogged venturi (air intake on the pump input).

Nuno

UPDATE *** New Micro bubble problem

Well I raised the entire skimmer about 3.5-4 inches seemed to help with the amount of water coming into the collection cup. Now I am getting a ton of the dreaded micro bubbles in the main display tank....Not in the sump.

The return pump and the pump and drain spout on the skimmer are very close to one another and I cannot really move it. When I turn off the skimmer I notice a very large decrease in the bubbles. I am not sure if this would cause micro bubbles or not. I already have a filter sock on the return coming into the sump.

The only thing I may be able to do is to Tee off either a return and put another small tank below and make that a skimmer tank and either pump the water back up to the tank or pump it over to the existing sump and let the mag 18 bring all the water back to the main display tank.

Ba19Ma88 said:
The return pump and the pump and drain spout on the skimmer are very close to one another and I cannot really move it.

Do you have any baffles between the skimmer drain and the return pump, or are they in the same compartment? If there are no baffles, it's a lost battle, the skimmer will create a lot of bubbles that will get sucked to the main tank.

Nuno

I know there are no baffles at this point and I am not sure I can put them in due to the plumbing. That is why I thought of a seperate tank just for the skimmer.

Just when you think you are close to being done!!!!!

"The only thing I may be able to do is to Tee off either a return and put another small tank below and make that a skimmer tank and either pump the water back up to the tank or pump it over to the existing sump and let the mag 18 bring all the water back to the main display tank."

How will you control the water level in this tank? Without overflows it may be impossible

I was going to use a ball valve and have the skimmed water either return to the tank with a mag 5 or just dump back into the sump.

Not sure thought just thinking out loud

I don't think that will work, water will either enter the skimmer area faster or slower than the pump will handle it. Trying to control this with a ball valve is impossible. There are too many variables involved. There must be some kind of an overflow from the skimmer sump back to the main sump to maintain levels without a flood.

Back