ever wonder what AEFW eggs look like? two great pics...

pallobi

Neal
ok, so first off, these are not my pics and these corals are NOT from my system... an online buddy of mine, Dr Harry Lopez, President of the New York Reef Club, gave me permission via pm, to use these photos to help educate others... and as they are very clear and good pics imo, i thought posting them here might be insightful to some...

pray you never have this issue... this is one good reason to always DIP YOR CORALS!!!! as i know so many who do not do this... of course, these types of things happen to the best of us, and jus cuz you dip, doesnt mean they wont occur in your system... dipping is only a helpful measure, not a full blown preventive measure... only properly QT'ing new additions in a closed system of its own, for months of observation will assure you... however, closely inspecting each frag you add to your tank, and NOT adding anything that has anything funny on it, will go a LONG way also...

point of all this is, you have to be very very very cautious, as well as aware... there is virtually no such thing as a "pest free" system, regardless of what anyone tells you...

thanks for looking, if even one person gets anything out of this post, i will have done my job for the day ;)

2011-08-28113136.jpg

2011-08-28113146c.jpg

Oh man.....those pics made my heart skip a beat. That's some scary stuff. I have a 55, and don't have the space/mula for a QT tank, but I always always always dip my corals. I usually acclimate them in a small clear tupperware, then dip them in Seachem's coral dip for about 5-10 min, then wash them off again and dip them in ReVive's coral cleaner, and into the tank. It seems to have worked well so far......those picks still urk me though. Thanks for posting.

If you can set up an independent system then quarantine, multiple dips, and careful regular inspection under magnification works very well. I quarantine all my corals for at least a month and do repeated dips/observation until I am sure the corals are safe. Then I introduce them into my main display system.

If you can set up an independent system then quarantine, multiple dips, and careful regular inspection under magnification works very well. I quarantine all my corals for at least a month and do repeated dips/observation until I am sure the corals are safe. Then I introduce them into my main display system.

a man who does it right... gotta love it :) kudo's to you my friend... i hope to have a proper coral QT setup going within the next 6 months myself...

Not to sound ignorant...what is AEFW?

that is not ignorant at all... Acropora Eating Flatworms... an SPS keepers worst nightmare... aside from a tank crash...

not a good thing to have... can be very difficult to manage in a display system... its one of the many reasons i setup my display and system like i do... though i dont have them, its gonna make dealing with them a WHOLE lot easier, should i ever be unfortunate enough to get them...

Yes still battling them. I setup qt. Never again

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

well GL friend... if you ever need any insight or direction towards any good reads, i know i can put you in the right direction... as well as a few of the more experienced sps keepers you will find on this forum...

I noticed a week or so ago that one of my acro's was peeling and turning into skeleton. I took it out , dipped and quarantined. Anyway now here I am with 21 dead acro's. After taking them all out and dipping and quarantining. Couldn't seem to control the AEFW even after dipping twice. followed all the directions to a T. Now they are all gone and so is my desire to keep a tank. I am bumming big time

I don't plaqn on putting anything back in for a month or two. If there are no acro's in my system, theoretically all the AEFW's and eggs should die, right?

Clearly they are rampid in the club. Everyone needs to start be diligent about treating and quarantining new corals.

As far as leaving the tank acro free, I would go more than two months. If it were me I would wait 6+mos, but that is just me.

Look up kevinpratt's old posts on these he had them and got rid of them. He tried multiple things and lost a bunch of corals in the process but finally got rid of them.

Back