FHW Oil Heat (no Electric Heater) Save big bucks.

I like the idea of heating from the domestic hot water rather than the boiler, but in any case I wonder about the savings, have you done any estimates?

Jim
I have no real way of cacluating saving in dollars but the feeling of beating NSTAR out of even a nickel will be priceless (I saw some $800+ monthly bills last winter)

Nothing to report just now,
I won't have a chance to do anymore with this system until sometime next week.

there's ways to control the pex tubbing temperature to keep it at a constant temperature ( 80 to 100 degrees )with mixing valves very easy and cheap , also i think if you are using D H W tank you will have to be very careful not to have stagnant water in the summer because you a not going to heat the loop , you can get sick if you drink or use this water for cooking or washing ,best is to use boiler water.I work for a oil heating company,as a heating tech.if you have any questions maybe i can help lmk pm.

there's ways to control the pex tubbing temperature to keep it at a constant temperature ( 80 to 100 degrees )with mixing valves very easy and cheap , also i think if you are using D H W tank you will have to be very careful not to have stagnant water in the summer because you a not going to heat the loop , you can get sick if you drink or use this water for cooking or washing ,best is to use boiler water.I work for a oil heating company,as a heating tech.if you have any questions maybe i can help lmk pm.

Heh, want to come run this and hook the re-circ pump up? I had a plumber lined up, but he's gone silent on me.

hi grendel . chester nh is a bit to far for me to go but its a great project to do i hope somebody closer to you will help you out if you have any questions maybe i can answer them.

We decided to drop in 75ft of Pex into the sump, connected to the HW heater circuit of my boiler.

If it runs continuously, it will still be cheaper than the 2300W of electric heaters that kept dying on me. I have 3 dead FInnex units now I can't return to the places I bought them... They're less than 3 months old, burnt element that also took the controller with it.

I actually thought of running cool water through the pipe using valves... but since the sump is in the basement, I "probably" will not need a chiller. Prior to the basement everything was in the Living room and I still didn't need a chiller so I think I'm safe.... We'll see... Worse comes to worse, I'll put a fan over the sump. That'll definitely do it.

I have found so far this year... (2nd day of summer) that I have yet to require any cooling. We'll keep tabs on it for you all.... I think the fact that the "vent" I created on the drain effectively cools the water as it goes to the basement and the fact that the sump is located in a corner of the basement (2 sides concrete) all adds to a cooling effect. Seems like a winner to me. so far.

I have found so far this year... (2nd day of summer) that I have yet to require any cooling. We'll keep tabs on it for you all.... I think the fact that the "vent" I created on the drain effectively cools the water as it goes to the basement and the fact that the sump is located in a corner of the basement (2 sides concrete) all adds to a cooling effect. Seems like a winner to me. so far.

I have all the plumbing done, just have to hook it up to my Aqua Controller.

What's the parts list and cost for this project?
I could in theory do this work myself :)

I did it myself and I do software! So it has to be easy!

The parts list is really extrapolated from the concept. Your parts may vary a great deal depending upon your heater set up and available parts. Just think about what you need to get done and do it.:rolleyes:

ok this project finished january 07, we should have a couple of months figured. whats the score, what differently would you do? TIA.

Rick, do you have time to come and play? Plumbing's all done, just need to get it hooked up. Not sure I trust a Finnex controller, so I bought an AC3Pro.

Rick, do you have time to come and play? Plumbing's all done, just need to get it hooked up. Not sure I trust a Finnex controller, so I bought an AC3Pro.

Hrmm...

I have my AC III controlling mine... What do you need to know? The programming?

AC program would be helpful :)

Although I think I have it figured out.

Electrical connectivity would be cool.

Are you still using a Finnex controller on it as well?

Back