Filtration Suggestions

CoralJunkie

John
BRS Member
I’m looking for some filtration suggestions on my 75g. It’s non drilled and I’m only running a hob skimmer that’s not nearly enough. 2 clowns, Royal gramma and small blue tang.

What're you looking for? A different skimmer? Some type of weir box that would drain into a sump? More rock or other biological filtration?

What're you looking for? A different skimmer? Some type of weir box that would drain into a sump? More rock or other biological filtration?
I’m looking for something that will either replace the skimmer entirely or help it tremendously. I’m thinking maybe a canister filter…any recommendations on this?

I’m looking for something that will either replace the skimmer entirely or help it tremendously. I’m thinking maybe a canister filter…any recommendations on this?
I don't have any suggestions personally but do know someone here that runs a sumpless 90 packed with coral. What skimmer are you running?

HOB filter with filter floss or filter media is the simplest. There are in tank filters like the Aqua Auto Aqua sumpless ATO system, and Tunze comline. My first 75 gallon had a canister filter. I won’t go back to those.
This seems to be the best option and inexpensive. Why are you looking to add filtration? Any issues? Reactors are another hang on back option. Great DYI project

This seems to be the best option and inexpensive. Why are you looking to add filtration? Any issues? Reactors are another hang on back option. Great DYI project
Tired of looking at a gross tank. Weekly water changes and the hob skimmer just isn’t cutting it.

Yeah algae and unfortunately no corals at the moment.
Maybe no corals is a good thing till you get sorted out. So do you test your water? Results? The more you tell about your system the better we can help. Feed heavy? Vacuume sand? Water changes? Turkey baste the rocks? Any other maintenance?

Maybe no corals is a good thing till you get sorted out. So do you test your water? Results? The more you tell about your system the better we can help. Feed heavy? Vacuume sand? Water changes? Turkey baste the rocks? Any other maintenance?
I do 25 gallon water change once a week and i don’t vacuum the sand. I’ve got strong random flow in the tank and I’m not sure if i feed heavy or not. I feed NLS pellets once a day

I do 25 gallon water change once a week and i don’t vacuum the sand. I’ve got strong random flow in the tank and I’m not sure if i feed heavy or not. I feed NLS pellets once a day
Well I would definitely test everything so you know what’s going on in your tank. Vacuuming is an easy way to export detritus or left over food. If you don’t have test kits try your LFS.

Back