FIRST TIME WITH SALTWATER TANK (need major help)

Research as much as possible.What do you plan on having in the tank sps,lps,softies or is it going to be a fowlr tank.
Welcome to the BRS.

i want to put in whatever i can. the problem is i know when you have a smaller tank it puts a limit on what you can have. what do you suggest?

actually, i should probably ask this first...what is the general cost of setting up/maintaining a 36 gallon tank?

Only for fish you can put whatever you want for corals as long as you have the proper light for the coral.Some corals need more light than others.
You should go to the photography section and look at other peoples tanks to get an idea of what you might want your tank to look like.Above all else research having a reef tank you do not want to rush it and have everything die on you.Your first step is to setup the tank and cycle it that will take a month or so then go from there.Feel free to ask a lot of questions you will find alot of experienced reefers on the forum that will answer them.

ah got ya! im about to hop on over the pic section now. what do you think of the tank though? it will do the job, no?

Welcome to the BRS! Patience is the key when starting out. When starting out, you really need to plan first so you only have to buy equipment once (at least until you decide to get a bigger tank;)). Often times, people start with one thing, realize that they need to upgrade and have to spend more money. Also, keep an eye on our FS forum (as you are already doing) to see what local members are offering. Used equipment can save you money. That said, this hobby is expensive in a lot of ways. If you intend to keep SPS corals, you need more intense lighting ($$) and that costs money to run. Softy and LPS corals have a lower lighting requirement.

Do your homework and get a good idea of what you want so you start off on the right foot. Good luck! It's a great hobby. :)

thanks for the info guys!

all i know so far is that im going to get a cleaner shrimp and a couple of clown fish. any other suggestions?

welcome to the hobby & forum...slow & steady wins the race in this hobby...ask alot of questions & don't listen to everything you hear...There are many ways to skin a cat in this hobby...From old school to new school....If your going to take advice...Ask to see pics of the person giving advice...This will give you a guage how much you want to sift thru....I always say...the proof is in the pudding!! ;)

Newbies need love too

So where are you with your tank? Have you started your cycle process? Added CUC? Picked a light rig or filtration setup yet? PICTURES!? lol sorry we love pictures and when I'm without Pictures I take whatever I hear with a grain of salt. If there isn't a pic to really help me understand I always feel like I'm gonna confuse what I've read.Keep us updated so we can keep pushing you forward (of course at a slow and well calculated pace) GL and happy Reefing

~Scotch :.

Back