floor support

well Id add extra support but theres no basement below me. only a crawl space, and a dirt floor.id have to crawl on my belly thru spiderwebs to get where I needed. its been like this for over a year. everything seems fine

better safe than sorry a small beam and two temporary supports will cost less than $100.00, IMO money well spent. i dont think its a matter of the tank being equal to X-amount of people in a room its having the tank then forgeting the fact the people will still be there as well as the dog, kids and so on. it might not make the floor collapse but the floor does give as it is designed to and the added stress may compromise the tanks integrity.

JMO given i do not have any real structural info to go

dont forget to add the tank, stand, hood, sump etc to your weight figure

your tank, your piece of mind HTH

when you consider where to put a tank you need to try and find out the size of the joists you are putting it on.
Ideally, your tank should span as many joists as possible to reduce excessive stress.

If your on a first floor, you may be lucky enough to have a support point where you plan to put your tanks. crawl spaces are good for locating these or adding additional ones.

I would not suggest anything over 150g on a second floor without additional support. (sump included)

Just an FYI.
my 220 had a 75g sump under it. my floor joists were 2x8 beams spanning left from a foundation wall to a steel main support I beam.
my tank's weight was mathematically at 35% OVER shear for the 2x8's at 13ft.

this means I had exceeded the 2x8's ability to support my tank and was 35% over the possibility of my tank dropping straight thru the floor.

that's 35% OVER

have a few people over... and your asking for trouble AND a lawsuit from your own ignorance

your floor may hold the initial weight. it may only bow over a short period time, but have a flood (who hasn't had water on the floor), have too many people or other large furniture near it, and your inviting a disaster.

I think there are a lot of people out there who ignore the weight of a large tank and don't keep them long enough to experience the nightmare of a floor failure.

I know how much I have invested in my tanks, no way am I going to ignore something that could completely wipe it out. its just not worth the risk.

check out Garf.org for a good water volume caculator.

I have generally always used 11lbs per gallon. (water only weighs 8lbs per gallon)

also i think residential building code is 20 or 40lbs per square inch.... your tank is ALOT MORE THAN THAT.

also factor in what the total load of the floor is and what else is in to room and being carried by those same joists. (think opposite side of the room... china cabinet... all gone... :) )

Thank God my 125g is on a slab in my livingroom. My great room doesn't have a cellar under it. WHEW! It's safe.

Tam :)

Scott Merrill said:
I know how much I have invested in my tanks, no way am I going to ignore something that could completely wipe it out. its just not worth the risk.
well said :) thanks for all the response and Dennis for talking to Rory! this is at the top of my list (the sooner it's done the sooner I make the move :D ) I love my tank and just want to be on the safe side from anything happening especially in a house that's not mine..

Back