forgot to turn my return pump back on

salthobby

BRS Member
I fed my fish last night around 7pm, turned my return pump off like I alway's do but totally forgot about until I got home from work today at 4pm. My water was down to 65, I did have the two MP40's running so there was water circulating. The tank does't look all that bad right now but i am worried that things might get worse.

so the fish can consume the food before I goes through my sump

Last edited:
Do you just dump all the food at once? Put a little at a time and let the fish eat them before putting more.
Your water line in the sump must be higher with the return pump off. Therefore, the skimmer(in sump skimmer) must be affected. How are you dealing with this?

If you must turn off your return pump, you can set your controller to turn pumps and skimmer off when in feeding mode and set the time when it is over so everything will be running normally.

Again, I seriously believe no one should be turning off the return off pump when feeding. If you are, you're feeding too much and too fast at the same time.

65 isn't that bad. People have gone lower than that during power outages. Just bring it back up slowly and you will probably be fine.

Do you just dump all the food at once? Put a little at a time and let the fish eat them before putting more.
Your water line in the sump must be higher with the return pump off. Therefore, the skimmer(in sump skimmer) must be affected. How are you dealing with this?

If you must turn off your return pump, you can set your controller to turn pumps and skimmer off when in feeding mode and set the time when it is over so everything will be running normally.

Again, I seriously believe no one should be turning off the return off pump when feeding. If you are, you're feeding too much and too fast at the same time.
I was just asking how my tank might be affected by the cold water

Understood. But just trying to help you so it won't happen again.
But you're obviously don't want to improve your system.

That sucks sorry to hear that. 65 huh? how the livestock look? bring the temp back up slow but not to slow

Why you need to get a controller LOL
I always use to forget to turn things back on now I press "feed" shuts off some flow and LED strip i need to shut off then turns everything back on in 15

I fed my fish last night around 7pm, turned my return pump off like I alway's do but totally forgot about until I got home from work today at 4pm. My water was down to 65, I did have the two MP40's running so there was water circulating. The tank does't look all that bad right now but i am worried that things might get worse.
My tank went down to 60 for 12 hours during the storm. Everything lived.

My tank went down to 60 for 12 hours during the storm. Everything lived.

>Again, I seriously believe no one should be turning off the return off pump when feeding. <

I generally agree. IMO there is just wayyyyy too much risk involved with this EVEN with a controller. All too often the return pump does not restart. I'm glad to hear u had additional circulation that was still on even with the main pump off. Again better to waste just a bit of food going over ur overflow than to risk the whole tank.

well you learn by your mistakes, I think so far everthing is ok just a little upset but ok

Seems cold, otherwise you would think there would be coral reefs further north?

There are many cold water ecosystems all around the world down to 40ish deg and as far north as Norway..., and further I sure just cant remember atm.Some even where there no light at all at 3 miles deep....amazingly colorful and beautiful too!

Last edited:
Back