Frag tank light

kevinpratt823

Non-member
I'm setting up a frag tank, and I need to decide on a light color. I thought 67k would be best, as I want to grow some of these out for display in the 155which has (2) radium 250w 20k and (1) 250w 10k. Or should I be looking at a 10k or 20k for the frag tank. If I grow them under 67k, can I put them in the 155 and expect the color to come back good?
I am going to use one of my spare pendants with a 250w ballast. Thanks for the input.
Kevin

IMO, the display should be the color spectrum that appeals to your eyes. That is subjective on what combo of bulbs to use. 20k is very blue, 14 and 12k less blue and depending on bulbs some are whiter. I personally like a 10-12k bulb with supplemental actinics. 65k is just too yellow...unless you like yellow. Par of each bulb will determine how fast your corals grow (with all other parameters being equal).

IMO, the display should be the color spectrum that appeals to your eyes. That is subjective on what combo of bulbs to use. 20k is very blue, 14 and 12k less blue and depending on bulbs some are whiter. I personally like a 10-12k bulb with supplemental actinics. 65k is just too yellow...unless you like yellow. Par of each bulb will determine how fast your corals grow (with all other parameters being equal).

+1 thats true

Hmm thats an interesting question. I think most people just outright ignore 6700, so not that many people have knowledge about it. But I totally get the whole concept that you want max growth in the frag/growout tank. This is actually interesting. Depending upon what we figure out here, I might do the same thing. I have not yet set up my frag tank.

As long as the frag tank is plumbed into the main system, the corals should be plenty acclimated enough that the change it light from moving into the main display should not be overly stressful even if it's a fairly big change in color temp/PAR.

has anyone checked the PAR value on a 6700K in comparison to the more typical 10 and 12K's?

Back