Frustrated with LFS prices and quality

I bet they could "offer advice" to you, as easy as you to them. I bet that would go ever really well :rolleyes:

LFS X starts a thread: I can't stand the whiney Fish buyer XJ7

LFS Y replies: Yeah I know you would think they would get it that the tank needs to cycle (backed up by testing) before adding $100 dollar fish.

LFS Z: Oh and they want their money back too!!!!

and so on, and so on, page after page

I think some people would feel like they were being talked about while they were standing right infront of the LFS owners.

Kinda like, HELLO I am right here? Can't you wait till I am gone to rag on me?

I guess it's all in the perspective you look at it though.

Last edited:
Die thread, Die!

Sorry, that was overkill, but really the horse is not just dead, it's really really dead :)

All I can say is let your $ do the talking. If you like a store, shop there. If you don't like any LFS in new england, then never go to one again.

I go to at least 4 LFS's regularly and I'm always happy with what I buy. I also use just about as many online places, just about as often, but for different things. I also go to a 5th LFS very often because they have what I need NOW but for a higher mark up. With all those options I'm happy with my purchases but for different reasons.

If you don't like LFS's then don't go to them and don't complain about them. If you only like / are satisfied with a few, then take your $ only to the ones that you like.

Let commercial darwinism take it's course.

I hope it is not a violation of forum rules, or please let me know. letter from BOD:

EDIT - It's not a violation of forum rules to reprint a private message in a public thread. But I think your identical post in it's own thread in the BRS Business forum is probably a more appropriate venue for this complaint, so I'm deleting this duplicate from this thread.
Nate

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this conversation is going down all kinds of rabbit trails. Bottomline is not price with me. Advice and service ARE worth something. Sure, I do buy somethings mail order, usually supplies and things I do not need in an emergency. These purchases are planned out. The only parts I bought mail order for my current system are the return pump, a powerhead and the custom overflow. Everything else was bought at a LFS. I want advice and service for my skimmer and mh light so I paid a liitle extra. IMO it is worth it. I read in some of the post that the LFS has to make consessions. Why? I didn't think we were in the hostage crisis. Let the LFS charge what they want. They can compete on some items but not on others. Isn't it great living in a free market society? Also, one that lets us express our views as we do on here? GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Maybe your just kidding, but no that alone won't work. I'll pay for the pizza myself just to go over to reefer's house and talk shop and see their setup. I have yet to see a LFS witha reef half as nice as some of the reefs I see at reefers homes.

I haven't visited your store, but when I go to a LFS I like to see something neat and cool, and learn something I didn't already know. Pizza might help get me there, but I'm really coming for the other factors.

This post is exactly why I am sad about Aquarium Gallery getting rid of that big 2000g tank. Yes, it would have cost some cash to fix, and yes, it would have been moderately expensive to run, but it would have been unique in this area. People would have come to see it. Honestly, I'd drive a couple hours to see a 2000g reef tank.

Thats the biggest thing here, if you can get people in the store, they'll usually buy something.

I bet they could "offer advice" to you, as easy as you to them. I bet that would go ever really well :rolleyes:

Kinda like, HELLO I am right here? Can't you wait till I am gone to rag on me?

I guess it's all in the perspective you look at it though.

Free advice would be great! When I need market evaluations or customer comments I have to pay for it. Marketing balloons from a focus group of hard core product users is like finding solid gold under the couch cushion. Never felt one of my customers was ragging on me for telling me how they felt. If I become uneasy I really think it is my own baggage, and I have a full set with a few backup pieces:D

Actually I have been stuck on several projects I am working, anyone want to tell me how to get them running I am happy to tell everyone the break come from Mr. Xyz.

Last edited:
Rich,

Not for nothing that 2000g. could not happen there.
that tank was spittining on 2 seperate foundations. one settled a while back, that is when the tank first cracked. It should have never been built there. Or it should have been built properly. So, it would have been a whole lot more than some cash to get running and moderately expensive to run. Hell it could put any store out of business, maybe that is one reason why Rock and Crab went out. Only other way to supplement it would be to charge addmission at the door, and I do not think that would fly to well.
Frankly, I am a bit insulted how you put your post considering that you know absolutely nothing about the specifics of what you posted.
Sure a huge tank would be a big draw, but if not done right could also be a big disaster. And there was just no way to really do that tank right, considering all the factors.
But, on the bright side, we are planning a VERY large tank for the next store. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000gal., and a 2,000-4,000gal. reef as well. But that will only happen if we make it to the next store (which currently will be #2 of 6 planned for New England)
But with all that competition on-line we may never get there. LOL

-B-

I have to admit the "Moderately expensive to run" comment made me wonder if you (rich, no annimosity intended) were underestimating the cost of running that tank?

How many halides, how many watts, and how big of an AC system would be needed to make that thing work out? I'm guessing a bunch of 1000W halides, a whole extra commercial AC system, plus a diving rig for tank cleaning? Sounds like a pretty solid operating cost to me??

I agree with B, they would have to charge admission at the door, or raise prices noticably.

- B - ? "Somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000gal", are you serious? If you figure out how to do it I WILL pay admission to the store :)

Long thread - I skipped the last few pages, so sorry if I repeat exactly what someone else said.

A couple observations I've made are:
1. Plenty of LFS haved stayed in business for long periods of time doing what to me as a moderately experienced aquarist seem inane (very high prices, very dirty tanks, lots of dead livestock, etc - excepting the occasional dead fish which will always happen with imported stock).
2. Boston has large freshwater and saltwater clubs, allowing them to get a wide variety of livestock and equipment from fellow hobbyists for prices much cheaper than even online vendors (I'm cheap and 90% of my equipment and livestock are from fellow reefers).

The truth is LFS are all about bringing product to the potential buyer and taking advantage of it (essentially impulse purchase). It's just like the kid that sells candy in school for 3x the price you can get it at the corner store - "if you want it now (or don't know any better), buy it at my price." Now, I don't mean to blanket all LFS - more specialized stores certainly are interested in adding value per many of the recommendations presented here, but to survive even these need to predominantly sell to the new hobbyist and others who simply prefer the immediacy of buying at an LFS.

Those LFS that are well-respected by BRS members are hopefully making a significant profit from members and those members are welcome to continue supporting them. Those that are not well-respected seem to be doing fine without us - flaming them on the forum doesn't achieve anything except vent frustration. Support the good ones, ignore the bad.

Ryan

Rich,

Frankly, I am a bit insulted how you put your post considering that you know absolutely nothing about the specifics of what you posted.
Sure a huge tank would be a big draw, but if not done right could also be a big disaster. And there was just no way to really do that tank right, considering all the factors.
But, on the bright side, we are planning a VERY large tank for the next store. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000gal., and a 2,000-4,000gal. reef as well. But that will only happen if we make it to the next store (which currently will be #2 of 6 planned for New England)
But with all that competition on-line we may never get there. LOL

-B-

Dear Mr. -B-,
I have no idea how you could misconstrue Rich's post as "insulting".
He merely mentioned his sadness of the loss of the 2000g tank. Knowing the details has nothing to do with how he felt.

It's great that the next store will have a large reef tank. It too will be a draw. And yes, when there's a draw and you get people into the store, generally they're going to spend money.

The last comment about people (meaning brs members) spending money online and getting to the "next store" doesn't really make any sense, considering the posts I've read from many LFS stating that BRS'ers aren't their biggest customer base.

I guess I don't really belong in this thread because I don't relay my thoughts into words very well, but I think that being insulted.. is a little over the top. I could go into what I think insulting is, but that's for the vendor experience forum.

Thank you.

I hope it is not a violation of forum rules, or please let me know. letter from BOD:

EDIT - It's not a violation of forum rules to reprint a private message in a public thread. But I think your identical post in it's own thread in the BRS Business forum is probably a more appropriate venue for this complaint, so I'm deleting this duplicate from this thread.
Nate

I'm just glad to see an edit note :D

I'm just glad to see an edit note :D

I think things are improving, right? So all these efforts do yield something positive. Also, if you see the latest sale from AG, you can see some real good price there (such as Maxi-jet). It shows that everyone is working on improvement.

Also, I want to appologize to you, Ed, because I did not understand your fustration before and I may have made some common that offended you. But now I start to understand your feeling more and appreciate your efforts to made this club better.

I came to the conclusion that in order to made this club better to serve all the members, complaining will not yield significant progress. We need to work together with everyone that including the BOD, MOD, sponsors and most important, the BRS members.

This is just a freaking fish club and I hope everyone remember that (I need to remind myself from time to time too).

After all, money talks. As members, our money is in our hands. We have the choice of how and where to spend it.

Also, BRS's mission statement is to educate the public and we do benefit a lot from the vast knowledge base within the club. So we are doing very good in this regard.

Back