Galaxea Frag Placement

maxxattk

Fresh, New Reefer Smell
BRS Member
I've got a small galaxea frag that I can't seem to make happy. I've tried a few different places in my tank, and I've had some success (better polyp extension etc) but right now it seems not so good.

I've got it higher up in my 75, about 5 inches from the surface. Running 2X56w 10000k ho T5 bulbs and 2x56w actinics. Dunno about the bulbs etc, but the rest of my lps/softies are pretty happy. Even my orange and purple cap have had good growth.

I think flow may be the issue. Does anyone have advice on where to place this frag in my tank?

-Tim

lol why would anyone want more polyp extension from galxiea.. seroiusly i keep mine in low. so it gets less light and only medium flow.

Not so much that I want MORE extension... I just want ANY extension. The coral is basically melting back into its skeleton.

I'll try a lower flow area.

Keep it on it's own "island", isolate it. Once it's starts to spread, it's hard to stop.
http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25530&highlight=gsp
attachment.php

Yes , that's GSP overunning a tank.

Galaxea= Green Star Polyps=GSP
The two common species out there are G. astreata and G. fascicularis, both are very aggressive.

I dunno.. I moved it down and into some lower current. The polyps seem to be coming back a little, but I can steel see some white skeleton around too. I may just have a crappy/unhealthy frag. Who knows.

Galaxea= Green Star Polyps=GSP
The two common species out there are G. astreata and G. fascicularis, both are very aggressive.

I have GSP in my tank too and its growing pretty aggressively. Dunno how that relates to my pitiful galexea frag...

I dunno.. I moved it down and into some lower current. The polyps seem to be coming back a little, but I can steel see some white skeleton around too. I may just have a crappy/unhealthy frag. Who knows.

if it has some die back because of where it was it may take some time to start to look healthy. it is a pretty fast growing coral over all. so it may come back , that is if placement was what was causing its issues

Back