Gfci tripping with new Aquaticlife T5

MURedhawk

Reef Rookie Forever
I have a 30 amp dedicated gfci outlet for tank with all equipment running thru those lines. The exception is the Aquaticlife T5 system which is run on a non gfci line nearby. Every time I try to plug in the lighting into the gfci lines it trips the gfci immediately. These are suspended lights from a canopy and not resting on the tank. I have thus run the lights on the non gfci outlet. I added a gfci adapter to that outlet and when I plug in the lights to that it runs great all day. However when the fluorescents turn off and moonlights appear (LED) it trips the gfci. Seems strange. I have to reset every day. I called Aquaticlife and they said this is a common thing with gfci and fluorescent lighting. They said they test all their lights with Cooper or Hubbell gfci units and they work but others do not. Has anyone else experienced this? Thank you for input.

I just got mine today (30 inch 4 bulb) and it was doing that every time I turned on the blue lights. I took the bulbs out and replaced them with ATI bulbs and pushed the reset button on the timer plate, and now they are working fine and not tripping the GFCI. I'm not sure which or if both worked, but maybe you can try the reset button and see if that works?

Fluorescent lights can trip gfci. When I had T5s I never had an issue. Have leviton gfci plugs rated at 20 amp. When I switched to led, I started getting the tripping issue. I had to install a regular non-gfci plug for lights.

I wonder why this is. I have heard of some cheaply made t8 shop lights doing this but it's because they are poorly grounded and the newer gfci circuits are able to notice a small change in the return

Back