Glass cages advise???

dr.steve

Non-member
Anyone have any words of wisdom concerning glass cages ? Anyone have one? would you buy again from them?
thank you
steve

I have one and would buy again. You may want to cover the corner seams because they aren't as pretty as a comercial tank makers, but I don't like the way gunk grows on silicone, so I would plan on covering them anyway.

I have their tank and i would buy from them again (specially with those prices). Only thing i didn't like is the overflow placement (kind of my fault as well) and overflow teeth cover. It was white in color and i didn't spray paint it when i first set it up.
Now i spray paint it so it's not a big deal but it was kind of odd man out in my initial setup. Their overflows are made from real glass and kind of big. I would recommned having only one hole in the overflow and have your return come over the tank from the back side. I pm you my phone number, give me a call if you like.

You have to check for the show they go to otherwise it will kill you in shipping. I think they were planning to open a store in the CT somewhere but not sure.

We ordered a 60 gallon cube from them and are picking it up in White Plains this weekend. There are lots of good and bad things people have said about their products. As with any product, there's always going to be good, bad and ugly. I tend to think that bad and ugly get more emphasized than good usually does. People are much more passionate when they're angry. :) So, I'm willing to give them a shot, mainly because this is our first reef setup, and we need to watch the cost since we're buying everything all at once.

I've heard lots of complaints about personality and attitude with Glasscages, but when I talked with the guy to place my order, he was extremely friendly and pleasant with me. I have no complaints there. In fact, I tried calling them all day to make my order, but they never answered the phone. I sent them an email and included my phone number, and he called back the next day. The were having a family crisis the day before, and that's why they weren't answering phones.

Anyhoo, we purchased the tank, stand and canopy. I'll take photos and let you know what I think, and people are more than welcome to swing by and see it on the tank tour in early May. I live a block away from Kevin McG, if that's where the party stalls for beers and munchies. :)

Melody~

Hey melody
thanks for the input
i called them three times today and Tom picked up on the second ring each time. He was pleasant and helpful with all my ?'s.
He said that if i picked up in white plains ny it would only be $60 for shipping then he pointed out that if i wait until June12th, glass cages will be in Manchester nh for a reptile show and they could bring the tank there ,saving me the long drive to white plains(same $60 charge, a bit more if i get a stand and canopy). no other manufacturer has even come close to the nice attitude and helpful demeanor as glass cages , not to mention their pricing. Still doing comparisons, but if i do not go acrylic then i am definately going starfire glass ,and glass cages is very reasonable with that upgrade cost.
my planning continues
steve

Hey cindy
thanks for the offer. Were you happy with their silicone job, there seems to be the major complaint with other owners, sloppy silicone? Also, did you get their custom stand or canopy?
thanks
steve

We didn't get the stand or canopy, but we saw them when we picked up in Whiteplains. They looked nice. Much beefier construction than standard aquarium furniture. Same with the tanks, built like tanks :p . The silicone is a little sloppy, but not really bad, just obviously hand done. I had a good experience with them and good customer service.

I have a custom tank from them as well, a 125 with dual overflows on the short sides, both long sides are low-iron glass. I couldn't be happier. Tank is built like a tank!

I have 2, the first one from years ago was porly made, rounded/broken edges, sloppy silicone etc. but the latest was beutiful. guess they have smartened up a little

We picked up our tank today. This thing is.. it's.. I can't belive how massivly heavy this thing is! I'm just.. speechless! It's really cool looking. I like it a lot. It's not gorgeous. The silicone and molding is a little sloppy, but I think it's totally worth the price we paid.

The stand and canopy are awesome. I'm extremely happy with them.

I'll post some photos tomorrow. :)

Melody~

i would love to see pictures, does the stand have good access, is it open on the back? how about the canopy?
thanks
steve

Back