got my 2 part kit from bulk reef supply! (help please)

MPevine11

my own mini ocean
so i mixed it all up and let it sit overnight.

Mag still has some residue at the bottom........ is it supposed to?

and when should i start testing and doseing?

It's normal for the Mg to have a hard time dissolving.

I'd say run a set of tests, then use the reef chemistry calculator to get the corrections you neeed. Add half what it tells you, then re-test in a couple of hours. If the numbers came up as expected (half way to your targets) then add the other half and re-test after a while. Once you get to your target levels, re-test the next day and make corrections (keeping track of how much you added). Repeat this process each day until you have a steady dose worked out. From there you can drop back to testing weekly or so.

Does this seem correct?

1aa1a-1.jpg

cant really read that so:

Calcium; current 400 , Goal 420
Need: 85.7 ml; 2.8 fl oz; 17.1 tsp

Alkalinity; current 6 , Goal 9
Need: 85.7 ml; 2.8 fl oz; 17.1 tsp

Magnesium; current 1200 , Goal 1350
Need: 483.8 ml; 16.3 fl oz; 96.7 tsp

i added the calcium.

but the ALK instructions read

"Instructions
Fully dissolve the Soda Ash in RO/DI or distilled water. Slowly add the solution to high flow areas of the tank and avoid directly blasting corals with the concentrated solution. Recipe 1 will Significantly increase PH. Although this is temporary it is important to monitor pH closely during your initial raise and avoid raising the PH more than 0.20. Do not increase alkalinity levels more then 0.5meq/lt or 1.4 dKh per day so be sure to spread the suggested dose out accordingly.
"

should i spread it out like instructed or slowly throughout today?

Yeah those numbers sound correct. You dont want to go from 6-9dkh in one day. I would spread that over 3 days at the very least. You have a dosing pump or going to be doing it manually?

manually for now, i will get the pump to automate it when i find out the correct amounts.......

how many pumps will i need eventually? one for mag, one for alk, and for cal?

Raise alk slowly as suggested. I would raise it over the coarse of a week at the quickest. Calcium and magnesium really won't stress out to many things if you bring them up quicker.

good to know :)

i put saran wrap over it in the messaging cup and will add the rest in the next 2 days. i will split it into 3rds. is that good?

Agreed, move slowly with alk changes.

For automation, you will really only need 2 pumps. Mg will not need to be supplemented nearly as frequently as Ca and alk which should both be done daily.

From experience alk swings can have a very bad effect on corals, much more so than calcium or mag. Alk seems like to variable you want to keep extremely stable and change very slowly.

Also you should look into a Bubble Magus dosing pump when you are ready.

I dose mine daily since the Bubble Magus has the pumps, but I dont think its necessary to do daily. Mag drops pretty slowly. I think most people dose it up around 50-100ppm once it drops that much. So see what your starting mag is, get it to an acceptable level that you want to run it at. Then test every week or so and see how fast it drops and then figure out how much you need to replace that. I dont think you need to dose mag daily though, you will be dosing pretty small amounts as it doesn't drop much. The thing with dosing by hand is that as your corals grow you will need to dose more and more. Right now im dosing 170ml of CA/ALK every day, and I dont even think I have that much coral. So you will need to spread out your doses or it will be too much all at once.

I dose mine daily since the Bubble Magus has the pumps, but I dont think its necessary to do daily. Mag drops pretty slowly. I think most people dose it up around 50-100ppm once it drops that much. So see what your starting mag is, get it to an acceptable level that you want to run it at. Then test every week or so and see how fast it drops and then figure out how much you need to replace that. I dont think you need to dose mag daily though, you will be dosing pretty small amounts as it doesn't drop much. The thing with dosing by hand is that as your corals grow you will need to dose more and more. Right now im dosing 170ml of CA/ALK every day, and I dont even think I have that much coral. So you will need to spread out your doses or it will be too much all at once.

How much water do u have ? that u dose 170 ml daily

btw I find I am shoveling the mag in as I do a lot of water changes (mostly planned lol)

just did a water change about an hour ago. just tested the water and dosed

ALK= 7.5 Dosed: 42.8 ml to get to 9
CAL= 400 Dosed: 81.8 ml to get to 420
MAG= 1200 Dosed: 350 ml to get to 1350

Back