The LFS I volunteer at part-time got broken into the night before last -_-

STiTCH87

Saltwater OCD Victim
I know this story doesn't even hold a candle to the brutal loss that CRA recently endured (my heart out to them), but...

As if hearing all these stories of local fish stores losing things to the storm wasn't enough...
The LFS I volunteer at Animal Instincts in Fall River on Saturday nights, got broken into the night before last.
To my understanding nothing was stolen, though I think the place was trashed a bit.

However, they DID go up to the 180g mixed reef and killed EVERYTHING in the tank.
All the expensive corals, gone.
Inverts gone.
Fish gone (including a 15 year old show Hippo Tang)
Macro and Micro algae gone.
Not sure exactly what was put into the tank but there is the possibility of the rock, sand, and tank/equipment/sump being useless if it's decided that bleach or other hazardous chemical was used.
I need to go down there tomorrow and figure out exactly HOW everything died (not sure if something was added or if they broke or unplugged the tank, IDK.

Don't take my info and opinions on how everything died as official as I have not yet spoken with Bob about this horrible thing yet.

This was clearly a personal attack from an angry customer against the owner Bob.

Not sure who did it but I hope they catch him/her/them.

Official statement from Bob himself:
"It was a sad sight to see all of our precious animals dead this morning after someone broke in to our shop last night
and killed all of the animals in our 180 gallon reef tank and invertebrate system.
This person had no compassion for life, although they weren't puppies or kittens they were living animals that we admire and love.
We want to thank our AMAZING staff and friends who spent the day with us cleaning and reorganizing the shop so that we could open.
We also want to thank our customers for being so patient waiting for us to reopen.
We ARE open for business and although they broke our reef tank they DID NOT break our spirit! Bob & Paula"

Last edited:
I saw this on the news last night. That is terrible. I hope they are able to catch who ever did this. Such a shame.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Some people just amaze me, I hope they catch them and make them pay.

The thing that baffles me is why? It just makes no sense you know? I wish the camera could've caught them but it was night time. I guess the "bright?" side is it was only that one tank? Could've been worse, but could've not happened at all too. Thank god the tortoise Speed Bump was locked up in the other room.

I saw it on the news as well. Very sad. It looks like a nice store too. Does it actually sell corals and marine fish? Maybe I'll stop by one day.

did you guys hear about Please do not circumvent the auto censor! that broke into ATM and stole Wade Kings Birds?

Last edited by a moderator:
That is terrible. What can a LFS do to a customer to cause the peraon to break in, kill stuff and risk going to jail?

I saw it on the news as well. Very sad. It looks like a nice store too. Does it actually sell corals and marine fish? Maybe I'll stop by one day.

Yep he has freshwater and saltwater stuff. The freshwater selection is huge, SW selection is pretty decently sized though still. Corals, inverts, fish, dry goods, etc. You won't find Vortechs or Tek Lights and stuff in stock, but they can order most anything you want and give a great price. I personally just like to deal with them on the fact they're close friends above anything else. Bob @ AI and Greg at UWW are really the only two guys I go to ever with a few road trips thrown in.

EDIT: This is NOT me trying to advertise the store however. They aren't a sponsor on here and I don't claim rights to promoting them on here or promoting BRS at the store.

don't forget that B got sabotaged a couple years ago--and lost most everything.

Oh man I actually forgot about that.

People now a days are just ridiculous.

The hippo was swimming around tonight in the secondary 180g tank (the LR tank) a little bit off and on. Couldn't get her to eat the frozen mysis though.
She's still very very pale but I guess she was more pale yesterday so she's still on the slippery slope to recovery.
I feel like she'll pull through with time but anything's possible.

On a positive note, the new AGA 180g RR tank is now set up and running with it's nice 30g specialized sump underneath and will be seeing sand and rock in the coming days.

I feel bad, that's messed up what happened, bob is a really good guy he use to date my cousin diane years ago and I remember how much my family liked him

It made AdvancedAquarist and a few other sites too and NY Times and LA Times contacted us too.

Back