H. magnifica anemone undergoing division

Greg Hiller

BRS Moderator
Staff member
BRS Member
My H. magnifica anemone seems to be splitting. It's been kind of stretching itself between to large rocks of late and in the last few days the mouth seems to be tearing itself in two. I'd considered a few times in the past few years attempting to cut it apart myself, but never had the nerve. I originally obtained this from ~Flighty~ (Cindy) many years ago when she was shutting down her tank. My maroon clowns have been hosting in it almost that whole time. I've had the clowns about 16-17 years now (wild collected I believe - not fully mature when purchased) and they seem to have slowed or nearly stopped their mating cycles (used to be about every 2-3 weeks).

Sorry the photos are not the greatest, taken with my iPhone.

I think the division is likely to be complete within a couple more days at most.

magnifica spliting.jpg

magnifica spliting - close up.jpg

It stings SPS plenty. It killed a very nice Acro colony when it first moved to its location. Surprisingly enough there is a M. digitata that grew under/around it that seemed to be able to tolerate it quite well. It stings the back of my hand plenty when I work in the tank.

I'd forgotten that Cindy posted photos of this a long time ago. In that thread she was talking about the base being different than they described. It looks super 'washed out' in her photo. Might be due to stress of collection and shipping. All the time I've had it it's had a very deep magenta/red/deep pink. Here's another shot I took last night I think. It's a little further along and you can see the foot also.

magnifica spliting - nearly done.jpg

that is cool nice color of the foot

Too bad you didn't time lapse the whole thing

The clown in that last pic looks like it's trying to figure out what's going on with its home.
Awesome colors on that thing

So cool! I nursed a ritteri back to health six months ago and it is doing great, mine is the purple/green variety. Great to see yours doing so well!

As mine gets bigger I try to move acros out of its reach... But it is getting harder. Hah.

What do you feed it/how often?

Thanks!

Living the dream

I usually let the clowns feed it. If there is a chunk of food a little too large for most of the fish in the tank the female maroon will push it into the anemone. Shrimp bits, big chunks of clam, larger krill, etc.

That's amazing. I've had mine about a year. I don't feed it too much because I don't want it to get too big. Great pics of the split even from a phone.

Hello Cindy,
Good to hear from you. Hope you're getting back or thinking of getting back into the hobby in the near future. :)

Back