Hacking up Large (non-BTA) anemones

RichConley

Attack of the Killer Cute
Has anyone cut a non-BTA anemone up?

I've got a Sebae that was about 12" when I got him, and is not approaching 20". Hes simply too large. Hes in great health, and I've been thinking about trying to cut him in half. Has anyone tried this with one of these anemones?

The success rate is very high with BTAs, but somewhat lower with other types. What kind of anemone is it? I thought you had a Macrodactyla doreensis, not a Heteractis malu.

I think there would be some risk, but not an extreme amount. I have not heard of many of those being cut up and they aren't known to split in our tanks naturally. When I've split anemones the cutting was a little harder than I expected. Wear gloves and goggles (there was a lot of squirting). Also, take care to do it in a separate container and give it a good rinse with tank water before returning it to the tank. there has been enough anecdotal evidence of cutting (non BTA) anemones killing non hosting fish that I would be careful. We don't know of a mechanism for this, but several hobbyists that I trust as being very knowledgeable have experienced it.

Hey Rich,

I also haven't heard much about manually splitting non BTA anemones. I know (have seen you post) that you doubt many of his ideas, but I'd still suggest asking Calfo about it.

He seems to be the #1 proponent of manual anemone splitting so I bet he would have something to say about it. Ask, get a response, take it as you will (with a grain of salt).

Whatever you think of AC, he is, IME, very good about responding to discussion questions. (you can find him on the Marine depot forums if you didin't already know)

On a total side note-
Have you read much on different anemone types in one system? I have read, long ago, that even if physically seperated different anemone SP will not get along in the same system. I have no idea if this is correct or not? I mention it because I have numerous RBTA's in one tank, and space for a different anemone in another tank that's in the same water (plumed together). I'm tempted to ask to be first in line if you do split yours and want to sell a half :)

jk

PS, I miss the Wii :(

John, I had a couple of BTAs a while back with that guy, and dont remember ever having a problem.

As far as Calfo, I asked him a while back, and his response was essentially "I've never tried it with one of those. Give it a try, see what happens"

I guess I'll have to do exactly that.

Back