hanging light height?

newfish

newfish
on a 55gl tank how high should my duel 250mh oddyssea fixture be from the top of the water? its about 3 to 4 inches off the surface now. I think I need to raise it. How high are your lights?

depends on what you are trying to grow . sps ? Lps softies ? if only lps and softies 1 250 centered hung about 12-18 inches over the tank should be fine , when you hang the light check and see how well it covers . with 2 over a 55 you can easily grow sps at around 10-14 inches over the tank . Keep in mind to , the higher off the water the less heat transfer to the water you will get . it also depends on how the reflectors are . And something in my mind tells me to look up the fixture you have for any incidents with it . But might be a different one . good luck and happy reefing

Another potential consideration is the viewing angle required to see the light bulb itself. If you have kids, look at the tank from their height to ensure that the lights don't blind them. If there is an issue, you can always hang the lights 1 foot off the water, but put some sort of guard in the front.

I have never used this type of light, but 2 250s over a 55 seems light a ton of light (and heat).

It depends on your tank dimension and how you aquascape and where you place your corals.
I have them from 8"-10".

I know your light fixture very well, and the standard legs are way to close to the water. To much heat transfer, and not enough spread. Crank them 10" plus. I was running a 400 watt halide on my last tank 15" off the water, great spread and less heat transfer.

I got the fixture free from a family member I am hanging it 12in from water tonight. Thank you for input and advice

Back