have you ever though about building your own t5 fixture?

the cheapest 48" 4x54w that i could put together searching google for seperate parts came to 383, or you could buy a retro from reefgeek for 299. i just dont think theres anyway to do a 120 let alone a 120, a 40, and a 55 for under 150

you can hope all you want but...not going to change the prices.

1 last thing you can do is go to aquatinics online and get there contact info. Call them/leave a message in regards to what youre trying to accomplish. They may give you a bulk discount on parts since your buying multiple items. If you buy bulbs to power cords theyll prolly work with you...they can because they buy in bulk. Theyre located in conn and tell them you belong to the BRS.

I did a retro. Used an old 660 ballast. It is just running two lamps. The endcaps cost 19 bucks and the bulbs were like 20 each. Make sure you get endcaps that COME with stands.

See if you can find an old ballast that someone is selling on ebay

I think I have pics of my setup in my album. I will look.

IMO workhorse ballast are very generic in that they are designed to be usable for most generic applications.They waste alot of energy(feel the heat from one)they just manage to drive them.Better of with a electronic t5ho ballast..seen them for $40.Bulb manufactures have a big impact as well on the final light output.For example ati and uri bulbs will remain stable thru to the end of their life even if they are over driven.As with anything heat is a hindrance reduce it and all is good.When it comes to fluorescent bulbs heat and cold is a factor in it's light output the phosphors will not ignite/burn properly if it is to cold or hot and will shorten their useful life.As for over driving not really a problem for me 3 bulbs (240+ watts) last over 12 months=$60...6-8 bulb fixture not over driven last 18 months= $120-$160fixture ...Oh! don't forget about the amount of space a 6-8 bulb fixture will take up,Oh! and the added generated heat,Oh!and the added reflectors,Oh!and the encaps and stand offs,Oh!:rolleyes::pI will never do without my 660.Hellolights has a 2 bulb retro kit with t5 ho ballast, individual reflectors, waterproof end caps for a little over $100.

OK update on the ballast,. so far T5 Fixture ballast that does 54watt 2 lamp are $28 dollar from A and A electrical Supply Chelsea Ma 617-889-0720 and the socket are $4 dollar each, if I need like 4 socket that is $16 plus $28 = $44 for the t5 Ballast and 4 lamp socket.

I need to shop around for the socket $4 dollar is still expensive---------

The wiring diagram for the 3 T5 Fixture

The wiring digram for the 3 T5 Fixture

Attachments

• 3T5fixture.jpg
    3T5fixture.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 122
Ask the guy at A+A if he recomends those endcaps for use over a saltwater tank. Tell him the fixture would be at least 4" above the waterline...

The end cap are rated for damp location, the lamps will be above water and the ballast are like 3 foot away from the lamp. I ask him already about the socket, end cap. I need to built the end cap so that it won't be exposed to any water. Might enclosed it with some kinda of glass maybe...

the 120 gallon it have frag,. I am thinking of moving the frag to a small tank like 12 nano,. the 120 will have fish only.

OK update on the ballast,. so far T5 Fixture ballast that does 54watt 2 lamp are $28 dollar from A and A electrical Supply Chelsea Ma 617-889-0720 and the socket are $4 dollar each, if I need like 4 socket that is $16 plus $28 = $44 for the t5 Ballast and 4 lamp socket.

I need to shop around for the socket $4 dollar is still expensive---------

Funny how we all think a little different :)... I like your valiant effort to pinch pennies :D, but my way of looking at this - How many hours have you got into just researching now? ... then actual ordering, then building / testing... Could have just worked those hours, used that money to buy the already built fixtures, have then all up and running by now... Just ribbing you :p. Sometimes I do the same - Accept offer from a customer of "free" fire wood, work 4 hrs. cutting and loading and transporting, 3 hrs. finish cutting, splitting, stacking. Now I realize I could have just worked (self employed) on a job for the 7 hrs and made 2x what that wood is worth - delivered.... Need to think through what is really a deal and what just seems like a deal. :)
Good luck. I am curious to see what you end up with, but more curious as to how much time you have into it, start to finish.

the 120 gallon it have frag,. I am thinking of moving the frag to a small tank like 12 nano,. the 120 will have fish only.

i think thats a much better way to save a bunch of money. i would just leave the freshwater tanks with the normal strip lights they have, and then spend all the money you saved on a good light for the nano frag tank.

OK i just purchased from a friend a brand new oceanic 14g nano tank,. I am going to move all the reef to this new system soon. The nano is up and running as I type this.- As far as the 120 gallon I have 2 metal halide 150w each,. can I run 1 metal halide instead of 2? Is that enough for the fish only tank?

plus I can use only RO water for the nano instead of the 120g ,. that save alot of water as well. Can I used the waste water for the 120g fish only salt?

you will end up adding all the detritus that comes out of the 120 into the 14, also if you get a bacteria or something in the 120 you will introduce it into the 14

you dont even need that much light over fish only on the 120

just get a couple t8 super cheapo lights and use like 50w over your whole tank

you will end up adding all the detritus that comes out of the 120 into the 14, also if you get a bacteria or something in the 120 you will introduce it into the 14

I mean can I used the waste water for the 120g fish tank? I don't want to waste all of those from,- I am paying for the water bill.

Can I used the Hagen Glo T5 HO Lighting System - Double - for the 120g salt water fish tank only? I also this brand new from a friend for $45 dollar- he got it laying around his LFS.

Back