Heater Wattage for 120g

Frag Freaks

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
What size heaters would be sufficient to run a 120g tank. My room on average is 65. I want my tank temp to be 78.

It's generally 3 watts per gallon.
You might be able to get away with a 300 watt.

I have a 300 watt Eheim Jager.

300 watt

159-264 gallons

19 inch long

Last edited:
I have slightly >100 gallons, and a pair of 250w are plenty. Even when my miserable old steam boiler shuts down over night/@work and the apt drops to low 60's they keep the tank @ 77.8-78.4 degrees. They also have the help of the 250w Halide over the display during the day.

I ran a 300W Jager and a 250W Aqueon Pro in my sump in the basement. Total water volume was about 220 gallons (120g DT, 40B, and ~60g in my stock tank sump).

Both heaters were tied to a single Apex EB8 outlet. The Apex Jr. had two temp probes, one in the stock tank sump and the other in my DT. If either detected problems, i.e., high heat, the outlet was turned off. Also had code to check both and turn on the outlet if it the temp got too low.

Originally I had the two heaters on separate EB8 outlets but the temp fluctuated a lot. Putting them both on the same outlet relieved that problem.

NOTE: In November/December I had to throw another 250W Aqueon Pro in the mix to keep everything at a good temp without maxing out the two heaters.

Whatever you need divide it by 3 or 4 and run that many heaters. If one gets stuck on ON it will take a lot longer to boil your tank. Also if one breaks, the others will be able to still work and heat the tank. With one heater you are screwed.

I run 3 100W for my 60 gallon system. But in the past I ran 4 100 W heaters for another system.

Back