What wattage heater for 40 breeder with ~15g sump? (65g-75g total)

STiTCH87

Saltwater OCD Victim
Gonna be picking up a Eheim heater this week for the new tank and was wondering what wattage to get. I've read 200w but i've also read 150w.

When I had my 40B (sans sump), I ran a 200. I can't say that it was overkill as I had nothing smaller but it definitely did the job.

Yeah. I may go with a 150w for now and see how that does (it IS summertime... lol) and then if winter comes and it doesn't seem to be cutting it, then i'll buy a second 150w since it's always nice to have two in case one fails anyways.

Yeah, I think that sounds like a good plan. =]

I would never leave a heater unplugged. You simply just don't know when the temperature is going to drop. A heater ensures a stable temp, even in the summer. My fan turns on at 78.0 degrees (chiller on at 78.3 if needed), but my heater turns on at 77.5 so my tank never fluctuates more than 0.5 degrees. Stability is the name of the game in a hobby like this.

Yes I have decided to pick up a 150w Eheim Jager for now, and come fall I will be picking up a second one just as a security measure. $30 ain't a bad price at all for a nice heater either. I'm satisfied =]

Back