Hello everyone

hrez01

Non-member
New to the forum have had tanks in the past current running a saltwater biocube not doing great and 3x10gallon planted betta tanks and a 55 gallon planted freshwater tank with a mud eel and some guppies.

Hi hrez, welcome, plenty of brains to pick in here to get that bio cube on track
I'm thinking it's not using ro water at this point that is the issue had clown fish in it but any inverts or coral I put in would just die parameters were good did some changes added canister filter now just waiting to test again

I'm thinking it's not using ro water at this point that is the issue had clown fish in it but any inverts or coral I put in would just die parameters were good did some changes added canister filter now just waiting to test again
I’m by no means an expert, very well could be tap water. I can tell you that if you do a few things right it really isn’t hard. I cant keep a beta fish alive but I’ve kept my sons two clownfish alive for 13 years now… go figure. What’s worked for me is 10% water changes every week and a good led light that’s been growing soft corals for almost 7 yrs now.
First thing on here is guys are going to ask you what exactly the parameters are and then what test kits you’re using.
Id post in “reef talk,” you’ll get more guys seeing it who can problem shoot a hell of a lot better than me.

I’m by no means an expert, very well could be tap water. I can tell you that if you do a few things right it really isn’t hard. I cant keep a beta fish alive but I’ve kept my sons two clownfish alive for 13 years now… go figure. What’s worked for me is 10% water changes every week and a good led light that’s been growing soft corals for almost 7 yrs now.
First thing on here is guys are going to ask you what exactly the parameters are and then what test kits you’re using.
Id post in “reef talk,” you’ll get more guys seeing it who can problem shoot a hell of a lot better than me.
Iv had a 100 gallon and a 40 gallon work with tap in same city but idk I think the pipes in my new apartment are messing with the water parameters I figured only thing I haven't tried so far is using ro water.

Iv had a 100 gallon and a 40 gallon work with tap in same city but idk I think the pipes in my new apartment are messing with the water parameters I figured only thing I haven't tried so far is using ro water.
Got ya, I’m not knowledgeable on using tap water because I’ve always used ro water. I’ve never gone bigger than a 55gl display tank so at first I was buying it mixed with salt already at my lfs. When I found a rodi system on here for short $ I started mixing my own so I didn’t have to haul buckets every week or two. Totally worth it for me. I’ve found patience is the key with reef tanks in more ways than one. On this site Some guys do water changes and some guys dose their tanks and some do both. It’s all personal preference. I’d definitely start with water youre %100 is clean, eliminate that right away. In the meantime get your exact parameters and ask in reef talk. This site is loaded with very knowledgeable, helpful members who’ve been doing it for decades.

This website is good navigational wise too, if you hit the search button and type in say “tap water” I’m sure a bunch of older threads will pop up that you might get some insight from

Welcome!

What are you using to test your parameters? I’ve been using tap water in three different states. (Ma, RI, Nh) living in multiple different towns within each state, I’ve had no problem over the course of 12 years. At this point in time I’m not convinced RODI water is necessary to keep a reef tank.

Welcome!

What are you using to test your parameters? I’ve been using tap water in three different states. (Ma, RI, Nh) living in multiple different towns within each state, I’ve had no problem over the course of 12 years. At this point in time I’m not convinced RODI water is necessary to keep a reef tank.
Api reef master test kit and a strip tester use a refractometer for salinity

Api reef master test kit and a strip tester use a refractometer for salinity
Strip testers can be a bit unreliable as the strip reading can be interpreted differently by different people. What’s your salinity reading with the refractometer?
Are you using the stock hood and light or something else?
What about flow? Do you have an additional powerhead or only the stock return pump?

When your saying your biocube isn’t doing great are you having problems with algae, keeping corals/fish or what?

Welcome!

1000012734.jpg

Strip testers can be a bit unreliable as the strip reading can be interpreted differently by different people. What’s your salinity reading with the refractometer?
Are you using the stock hood and light or something else?
What about flow? Do you have an additional powerhead or only the stock return pump?

When your saying your biocube isn’t doing great are you having problems with algae, keeping corals/fish or what?
Salinity is at 1.024
I have glass top with
Ai prime 16 led light on relatively low settings
I have a small pump as a power head and the canister filter running instead of the in tank sump this was a relatively new change to see what happens
1 inch of crushed coral mixed with sand and couple pieces of previous dry rock

Roger that, I forgot to ask what size biocube this is. I don’t have any experience outside of freshwater tank with a canister filter so I can’t really comment on that. Has the stock pump stopped working or something? It looks like it’s off to a good start, although I think it could use a tad bit more rock.

Have you had some sort of livestock die off? Without being able to see any sort of live animal in there it looks like it’s doing well.

Re-read the whole post. If the tank is new, an ammonia spike could have killed the clownfish.
After doing a water change your tank is looking good. Keep an eye on where your water level is at when your salinity is reading 1.024 and keep it topped of with fresh water to maintain that level.

So long as you keep it topped off with fresh water and keep it stable at 1.024 I can’t see why you’d have a problem. The glass lid should help out a lot with water evaporation.

I’d add some carbon as well if you haven’t already. Double check your heater to make sure your water is at a good temp. I also use a AI hydra 32 on my biocube as well as a 16Hd on another 15 gallon. If you’re interested I can send you my light schedule that is easily transferred to your 16 to use.

Not sure where you are in Massachusetts but if you’re willing to travel to Woonsocket RI I have two corals I could give you.

Last edited:
Re-read the whole post. If the tank is new, an ammonia spike could have killed the clownfish.
After doing a water change your tank is looking good. Keep an eye on where your water level is at when your salinity is reading 1.024 and keep it topped of with fresh water to maintain that level.

So long as you keep it topped off with fresh water and keep it stable at 1.024 I can’t see why you’d have a problem. The glass lid should help out a lot with water evaporation.

I’d add some carbon as well if you haven’t already. Double check your heater to make sure your water is at a good temp. I also use a AI hydra 32 on my biocube as well as a 16Hd on another 15 gallon. If you’re interested I can send you my light schedule that is easily transferred to your 16 to use.

Not sure where you are in Massachusetts but if you’re willing to travel to Woonsocket RI I have two corals I could give you.
Thanks I'll gladly accept light setting I'll try with gsp from my friend first see how it goes

Back