Hello from Leicester, MA

FinsUp!

Non-member
Hi everyone! My name's Nicole and I'm from Leicester (borders Worcester to the west if you've never heard of it)

I'm working on setting up an oceanic 58 RR at the moment, and it will be my second reef. Used to have a 90, but sold that setup years ago.

I have the stand for the tank almost finished, and plan on working on the sump and plumbing next. My plans are to do a durso standpipe, and use a 29 gallon tank as the sump (I have a 20L that was given to me, but I think I'd prefer the extra height of the 29). After that's done, I'm going to attempt a DIY dimmable led light fixture. I cant wait to get it all up and running!

Any suggestions on the best pump to use for the return?

Edit: Tried to post a picture of the progress so far, but it wouldn't allow me to upload a picture to my gallery. Maybe I'm too new? Oh well. I'll take some pictures as I go and start a build thread eventually.

Last edited:
Welcome Aboard! I have heard of Leichester, but have never been there.

A build thread would be great with pictures. You are definately in the right place to ask questions.

You may even want to check out some others LED builds and their opinions/thoughts on the subject.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! I'll definitely get a build thread up eventually. Right now I just have a stand with no doors (yet!) and an empty tank on top of it :eek:

Welcome. I have a 57 Edge gallon, I am running a Water Blaster HY3000 for a return pump. I was looking at this pump and the Eheim 1260. I went with the Water Blaster because it uses only 37 watts compared to 65, and pushed a little more water than the 1260. I have it teed off to run a carbon reactor. The HY3000 has been silent which is also important seeing it is in my sons room and dont want noise keeping him awake. I also replaced my return pump on my 90 with the 5000 seeing how impressed I was with the 3000. These can also be run externally if you want. Either way the Eheim or Water Blaster is a very good pump.

Thanks for the input, mchartier... I've heard good things about the Eheim but have never heard of the Water Blaster, so I'll definitely look into it. The tank is going in my bedroom as well, so the quieter the better!

Edit: Figured the uploading thing out after some searching through the FAQ, so I thought I'd throw in a picture... Here's what I have so far:

attachment.php

Just noticed I missed a spot with the stain... Oops!

The tank trim, edges and sides will eventually be hidden by a 3-sided frame that will give the tank a "built in" look (I'm not good at describing, so I'll take pics when it's done :eek:), and there will be a matching canopy.

Last edited:
Welcome back to the hobby.Ehiems not only are dead quite but are bullet proof and last for ever.

Back