Hello! Introduction and Advice

Old Glory

Non-member
Hi I am new to the forum. I have been keeping freshwater fish for two years now and I am looking to start a saltwater tank. I have worked at a pet store years ago (PJ's in Saugus) and things have really changes since then!

I have been doing some research online and reading books. I want to start with a FOWLR tank around 90 gallons. I have been told that a sump is not necessary. The live rock provides ample biological filtration and with a protein skimmer and a canister or HOB filter I would be fine. I am not looking to set up a reef only tank but would like to eventually (2 years) start adding corals. For me right now it is all about the fish (I was inspired by a snorkeling trip on my Honeymoon in Hawaii). My end goal is to have a Hawaiian biotope...at least as much as possible.

Starting to put a list together for what I want for fish, but I need to figure out what the hardware will be. My new wife is going to kill me this is an expensive hobby!

Tank - Glass Cages 90L 48x18x24Tall Front glass Starphire (Sump???)
100 lbs Live Rock
Live Sand
Protein Skimmer
Canister Filter Eheim Pro3xl
Heater Finnex 500w
2 Power heads
Light??

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. I plan on buying components and putting this together over the Fall and Winter.

Thanks!:)

welcome to BRS
I would get a light that you would eventually get to raise basic corals,
look for some used lights on the fs forem.
not sure u need the canister filter, maybe to hold carbon?
look into test kits and a refractometer

I sump is great to hold the skimmer and cheato

welcome and enjoy the hobby

Welcome. I'd go with a sump so you can get a good in sump skimmer, they work a bit better then the hand on type. You can also put all your heater in the sump. Personally I'd look in the fs section for a good used 90 that is reef ready, this will save a good amount of money.

Get a refractometer and not a swing arm, they don't work well.
If you go with a sump I'd forget the canister filter.

Good luck and again welcome.

One last thing I'd become a paid member for two reasons 1. Help the club 2. You get a discount at a lot of the local fish stores and on line vendors you will save more then the membership fee alone in just buying equipment and fish.

Welcome aboard!
I started out with a 55standard and upgraded to a 75 with a sump as soon as I could.
If your thinking about doing corals id just start out with a sump, plus, like others said, sump skimmers, refuge sections, a place to hide heaters, are just a few of the benifits of having one.

Awesome, PJ's used to be my got to store back on the day. I only did FW stuff back then. Welcome.

Oh and I say step up to a 120g 48x24x24 :)

Just ordered my tank stand and hood. Pre-drilled 90 gallon. I am confused after my discussions with the LFS staff. My goal is a FOWLR. I would like to have some corals and possibly some inverts.

What is the best way to set that up? Do I need a sump? Should it be Bio-balls? How should it be set up? Is the Aqueon sump a good choice or should I make one myself?
My filtration thoughts were:
Live Rock
Canister
Skimmer
Sump??

My fish wish list is:
Flame Angel
2 Clowns
3 Small Yellow Tangs
Humu Trigger
Wrasse
3 Cardinals

Advice appreciated and thank you for the welcome

Just be careful with the Humu Trigger it can be very aggressive. If you do plan on going reef in the future a sump is your best bet. As for bio ball nothing works better than Mother nature stuff like live rock, live sand and Cheto plus many other options.. Good luck

+1 on the trigger.that humu would likely kill the other fish as it gets bigger.plus all trigger r not reef safe.u might get lucky and find one that would leave your corals alone but imo,not worth the headache

If you are starting a fish only tank, you would have a wider range of compatible fish. If at some time you will be adding corals, I would suggest starting with fish that are reef safe that don't require special feeding. Then if you decide to add corals later you won't have to get rid of fish that eat them. There are many colorful fish that would work in a 90 gallon. If you look at liveaquaria.com They have some nice pics with requirements and compatibility charts for other fish.

Start slowly and don't add things too soon. Wait until the tank cycles and add some live rock and sand to seed. Get an ammonia test kit and watch ammonia spikes before putting things in.

Ask questions, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here who are committed to the hobby.
Hope to see you at one of the meetings.
Tom
Oceanguy

Thanks OG. I plan on moving very slowly with this. I want to set up a sump type filter but I am not sure which type to set up. What is the best set up for FOWLR? Will a refugium be enough? Berlin style? Bioballs?

I am completely confused. IF I add corals it will be very hardy fish friendly types. So right now I am looking for the best set up for FOWLR and anemonies, urchins, starfish, and possibly some easy corals. Again I am setting this up for the fish so if I can't have corals I will not be disappointed.

Can a refugium handle the waste production of fish or is it best for Reefs only?
Is a bio-ball set up better for fish...but will it work for limited hardy corals?
Is there some combination of the two that will work?

Thanks

Welcome to the reefers

Welcome to the Boston Reefers. I'm originally from Gloucester and will be there from Sept 17 to the 24 at my other house. Let me know if you have questions.

The Hawaiian Yellow tangs are beautiful fish, but will get very large and need a tank that is 100 gallon min. The blue tangs need 180 gallons. They eat algae and plant veggies and need plenty of room to swim as well as places to hide.

The Trigger will damage some corals if you eventually get some and it may pick on other smaller fish as it is aggressive. There are may fish that are smaller and stay pretty small.

Get good lighting if you are eventually thinking of corals. The sump is also a good idea. Go slowly and add things slowly for better success.

Enjoy setting up the tank.
Tom
Oceanguy

Hi I am new to the forum. I have been keeping freshwater fish for two years now and I am looking to start a saltwater tank. I have worked at a pet store years ago (PJ's in Saugus) and things have really changes since then!

I have been doing some research online and reading books. I want to start with a FOWLR tank around 90 gallons. I have been told that a sump is not necessary. The live rock provides ample biological filtration and with a protein skimmer and a canister or HOB filter I would be fine. I am not looking to set up a reef only tank but would like to eventually (2 years) start adding corals. For me right now it is all about the fish (I was inspired by a snorkeling trip on my Honeymoon in Hawaii). My end goal is to have a Hawaiian biotope...at least as much as possible.

Starting to put a list together for what I want for fish, but I need to figure out what the hardware will be. My new wife is going to kill me this is an expensive hobby!

Tank - Glass Cages 90L 48x18x24Tall Front glass Starphire (Sump???)
100 lbs Live Rock
Live Sand
Protein Skimmer
Canister Filter Eheim Pro3xl
Heater Finnex 500w
2 Power heads
Light??

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated. I plan on buying components and putting this together over the Fall and Winter.

Thanks!:)

Back