Help!

AC545

BRS Member
I just bought a new torch a week ago and put it next to my established dragon soul torch.

The first day or two the new torch looked good. It’s been slowly getting worse. My parameters are all good, except phosphate. I floated the coral for 40 minutes and drip acclimated it for 30 minutes. Should I move it away from the dragon soul? Perhaps lower light?

Please advise.

Water temp 78
Salt 1.026
pH 7.9
Alk 8.1
Ca 436
Mg 1248
Nitrate 29
Phosphate .7

Attachments

• 80CFF02D-6DB8-4E73-9BB9-B6FBF81AD93A.jpeg
    80CFF02D-6DB8-4E73-9BB9-B6FBF81AD93A.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 28E4B1A9-53C4-4AD9-A5B1-525481EA9624.jpeg
    28E4B1A9-53C4-4AD9-A5B1-525481EA9624.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 65
With no tissue at the base and the skeleton showing I would say it probably won’t make it. Was there any tissue at the base when you bought it? I have heard good things about the KFC dip method. Only parameter that looks a little high is Phosphate but there are tanks that do just fine with high nutrients.

Issue or tissue? From what I have seen with any euphyllia is if there is not much tissue at the base something is not right.

Nitrate and phosphate seem pretty high. (I would do a fairly large water change to get nitrate and phos down) Also, any shrimp that could be eating it? I had a peppermint shrimp that loved to chow down on my hammer. If you have iodine, dip in that to stop what could be a bacterial infection (or any dip that you have but ideally iodine)

The hammer I was talking about went from this:
1703659380040.png

To this:
1703659402542.png

To this:
1703659420728.png

Just becuase I got rid of a shrimp and then let it sit for a few months. If you can get rid of the problem (why it is receding), it should be able to recover.

Hope this helps.

Nitrate and phosphate seem pretty high. (I would do a fairly large water change to get nitrate and phos down) Also, any shrimp that could be eating it? I had a peppermint shrimp that loved to chow down on my hammer. If you have iodine, dip in that to stop what could be a bacterial infection (or any dip that you have but ideally iodine)

The hammer I was talking about went from this: View attachment 200791

To this:
View attachment 200792

To this:
View attachment 200793

Just becuase I got rid of a shrimp and then let it sit for a few months. If you can get rid of the problem (why it is receding), it should be able to recover.

Hope this helps.
I have a cleaner shrimp and two peppermint shrimp but I haven’t had any problems with other corals. I also noticed a long string coming off the base of my blue torch which looked weird. I really can’t help but think it’s been getting stung. I moved it to a safe area of the tank last night.

I would:
1- Dip for 5-10 mins to kill any bacteria
2- lower it in the tank to lower flow and light
3- do waterchange (20%)
4- run carbon
5- wait and hope
6- repeat step 3 in a week or so

I would:
1- Dip for 5-10 mins to kill any bacteria
2- lower it in the tank to lower flow and light
3- do waterchange (20%)
4- run carbon
5- wait and hope
6- repeat step 3 in a week or so
BTW the mag is a little low. shoot for 1350 (gives allowance for test kit variance)

+1 raise your mag if you can. Water change and dip sounds like a good option. It seems like your other torch was stinging it so good thing you moved It. Dip could prevent infection, and then leave it in a low light/flow area to recover for a few weeks

Back