Acclimation Help

CoralJunkie

John
BRS Member
I’ve done a little digging on this and I figured I would ask here. I ordered a clownfish however it was delayed 1 day in transit. Do I temp acclimate and toss in or do an actual acclimation? I’ve read conflicting things on this due to the potential ammonia spike as soon as the bag is opened.

just had this happen to me and I acclimated them. One fish made it the other did not. I think it’s a crap shoot either way and depends upon fish health before they were shipped.

The one that did not make it lasted the day and died over night.

Personally, I would temp acclimate and then drop him in. You’ll be able to smell the built up ammonia the second you open the bag.

As long as your salinity is not a lot higher than the shipper’s salinity, I vote drop right in. If you have a QT at 1.020 etc, def just drop in. Ammonia will become more toxic as pH rises from adding fresh acclimation water, and this may stress/kill the fish, before any benefits of a slower transition. Going from acidic nasty bag water to fresh nice reef water in one jump is probably less stressful. Also clownfish are pretty hardy, good luck!

Back