hippo tang help...

beckisguy73

Non-member
ok I just got a blue hippo last night and when I woke up today I noticed that he has ich... What is the best way to tret him without removing him from the tank..

Blue hippos are notorius for showing white spots when they are stressed. Moving him to your tank most likely stressed him out. Keep an eye on his eating...make sure he gets lots of nori and he should show improvement within a couple of days!

I'd worry more if you have nano fish in your tank. I heard bumping your temperature up to 84" can blemish the spots on your tang almost immediately. Worked for me but the smaller fish still showed signs of ich. In the end I dosed with garlic and stopped swinging the temperature levels. The smaller fish have signs of ich but they're hella healthy and beating the parasite with garlic enriched shrimp.

I'd worry more if you have nano fish in your tank. I heard bumping your temperature up to 84" can blemish the spots on your tang almost immediately. Worked for me but the smaller fish still showed signs of ich. In the end I dosed with garlic and stopped swinging the temperature levels. The smaller fish have signs of ich but they're hella healthy and beating the parasite with garlic enriched shrimp.

From what I remember, turning the temperature up on the tank speeds up the life cycle of the ich but does nothing to help rid the fish of ich.

I had a blue hippo that got ich when I moved him to the DT. I put mine in a hospital tank. If you can't do that, just keep an eye on him and the other fish. Feed him well and nutritious foods with nori.

From what I remember, turning the temperature up on the tank speeds up the life cycle of the ich but does nothing to help rid the fish of ich.

I had a blue hippo that got ich when I moved him to the DT. I put mine in a hospital tank. If you can't do that, just keep an eye on him and the other fish. Feed him well and nutritious foods with nori.

This is true, although not all that practical. Discus (FW fish) almost never get ich because you keep them in water temperatures from 85-90 degrees, and ich can't live in that environment... but neither can corals or saltwater fish =). I'd say keeping your tank at 80-81 might be better than say 75 though... i try to keep my tank right around 80 degrees all year.

well been gone all day and now home and just checked up on the lil guy and no more white spots... and as far as eating he was eating well 30 minutes after putting him in the tank so that part was never a problem.. I have been pretty lucky and all my fish ate as soon as I put them in the tank... Thanks to all that have responded...

Mike

the tank I'm planning on using has only been running for about a week now sooooo I don't think he would have been good in there..

Back